Thread: Basic Economic Info

Basic Economic Info

Hi
    i've just signed up from South Africa - v.keen to start understanding as an outsider to Aus. (Or is it written OZ) , more and more baout flyfishing for Jacks - locally and in Mozambique - they're exclusively known as Kingfish. (In the USA they're still Jacks)

1. Can anyone help out with currency comparisons : Aus Dollar to US Dollar so I can convert back when I see hopw much things cost.

2. What's the cost of petrol by the litre ?

3. How much does a standard cortland line cost ? - say 6/7 weight, double taper, weight forward

4. Do you have Orvis / Reddington / Sage / What are the approx prices for a 10wt in each of these.

5. How much would you expect to pay for a boga grip ?

If anyone knows please help me so I can follow the chats more intelligently

Re: Basic Economic Info

Hey mate,

First up, welcome tot he site.

1 South African Rand is about AU$0.20. Or AU$1 is about US$0.73.

Fuel over here is going up, like everywhere else in the world. Unleaded you can expect to pay between $1.05 and $1.20/Litre, diesel expect to pay between $1.10 and $1.25/L - obviously depending upon where you're located.

With regard to the fly questions - can't help you as I don't fly fish.

Cheers and kind regards

G'day

Another South African lurking on this site, so join the crowd. (Married to an Aussie lady hailing from Brisbane so I am Australian by proxy

You can learn a lot here, especially on the "Reports" section. It is all Aussie related, but their techniques is quite interesting sometimes. Now and then a report from other parts of the world comes in, that is when you just want to pack your bags and go for it. Can I ask a huge favour though. Whenever you guys go over to Mozambique, please be so kind as to post a few lines with a few pictures. I am in the process of getting the minister of war and finance to say yes for a trip to the ST Lazarus Banks sometime next year. At the current quotes of over US$10 000 for 4 people over 7 days with flights and everything but the booze included I dont quite fancy my chances. But then again, one report I read was of 26 species in three days on fly. This included wahoo, sail, marlin, GT, barracuda, King Mackerel, Queen, dog tooth, yellow tail tuna etc...... I HAVE TO GO THERE!!!!!!

Economics, well, you guys have it lucky in South Africa.

To give you an idea;
    A Stealth Magnum Plus 12 weight cost you peanuts in South Africa. Now dont go and tell the buggers this because it is a great rod for what you pay. That same rod cost three times the amount over in the UK. Their saltwater reels that they make is not bad either. I will easily match them to the middle of the range brands available currently.

A Shilton SL7 reel cost in the region of GBP200 in RSA. I priced that exact same reel at GBP 490 in a shop in London. You can keep your Gulfstreams and other premier brands. I will only use this baby to chase streetfighters in the ocean. (No, I dont work for them, but I only have respect for these reels, they are damn good and they are idiot proof i.e. perfect for me)

Dont get me started on the cost of flys. You guys back in RSA pay peanuts compared to what it cost in the UK or in Australia. In some cases as much as a 50% difference. (I know cause I recently placed an order online with a company based in Sydney. Just a pity that the difference between courier and air mail was not understood by the guy who packed the order. I am still waiting for my order to arrive because of that little technical glitch)

You can do an online comparison between different countries by using google. The last time I bought good quality fly line, there was not much of a difference between the UK, USA and Australia. South Africa on the other hand was a bit more expensive though. Not to sure of what the current situation is like.

Another thing where you are getting ripped a new one is with hard body lures. Both in Aus and in RSA they charge an arm and a leg. A word of advice, the next time you have a friend coming to the Middle East, let them get you your favourite Rapalas or Halco's. There is as much as a 50% price difference.

Have a good one and please send those pictures from Mozambique. I need photgraphic evidence of why it is such a great place to go and spend a fishing holiday.

Thanks for the response, i have to ask why do you check out this section if you don't fly fish

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    Hey mate,

First up, welcome tot he site.

1 South African Rand is about AU$0.20. Or AU$1 is about US$0.73.

Fuel over here is going up, like everywhere else in the world. Unleaded you can expect to pay between $1.05 and $1.20/Litre, diesel expect to pay between $1.10 and $1.25/L - obviously depending upon where you're located.

With regard to the fly questions - can't help you as I don't fly fish.

Cheers and kind regards

Wessel
    Thanks for the info. I have a ton of good photos in Moz, that will sell the country to anyone. They are from a place called King's Pool, named for the place in the Ocean where the locals would bathe the King.

Except I have lost the CD!

When I find them I'll post them.

My last trip to Moz was a bit dismal - but in fairness not all of Mozambique is St Lazarus Banks. I was at a stunning place called Zavora Lodge, but it had been plagued by bad weather the week before.

To add to the poor fishing I broke 2 rods both in the Landy door - separate episodes

Over 6 days I had very little luck. One shad (blue fish I think it's called) on day three on a clousers in chartreuse. One small Couta (King mack) off a rubber duck. Day four one small yellow fin Kingie - 15cm, and then on the last day I found the honey pot.

28 Kingfish in 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - It was a school of similar small sized kingies, and one of just over 3 kg's (blue fin).

Still wish I could find the photos

Got to love those jackpots mate......

linecasters.co.za/gallery/saltwater/

add the www bit in the beginning when you cut and paste. This is a bit off topic and not relevant to the Australian fishing bretherin, but just looking at those pictures from the Lazarus Banks makes me want to quit my job and become a beach bumb on the Mozambique coast.
    OK, a true beach bumb will not be sight casting with a 12 weight, but hey, that is life for you! Full of weird surprises.

Have a good one where ever you are.

W