Thread: flys

beachball57

flys

Hi, I'm just getting into fly fishing and hope to do a bit of fly fishing up north in the tropics around cooktown and darwin, what would be a good selection of flys to take with me and where would I get then from I live in Goolwa south australai about 90 mins south of adelaide so getting to town is no trouble, I have 5,7,9,10 weight rods with line and reels to match, some floating some sinking
    thanks
    tony

Re: flys

Hi, I am from NQ I fly fish in Cooktown & Weipa had a lot of success with my own fly's a Gar type epoxy head and heavy clousers.

Cheers Steve.

Steve

what's the trick to ensuringa smooth epoxy head aand getting the eyes straight ?

Jack_Lives_Here

I use 2 coats and both pretty sparingly. Apply the eyes after the first coat while it's still sticky. Fold the eyes so it forms a crease up the middle is a good way of getting them to wrap around with the small baitfish flies for tuna etc. If it's going on a polar fibre of similar put 'em on and manipulate with a needle until it looks symetrical then apply the goo. Oh and a rotating vice is very handy.