Thread: calm seas - fishing in mozambique

calm seas - fishing in mozambique

I found my holiday pics - thought I should share this one with you. It's of a place called King's Pool - because the locals used to bathe the King in these waters - The pic is of the sea in Mozambique bewteen tides, just south of Inhambane Town, near the lakes at Cusiko. The ledges are awesome for JAcks and if you can throw a good line you even stand a chance of hitting a Spaniard, A sailfish or a wahoo (think it might be known as a MAhi-Mahi)

These ledges drop down v.deep and as youcan see you fish straight into blue water.

I should stop teasing myself by looking at these pictures - I just want to get back there again

Anyone got any decent pics of venues / conditions of their favourite spots ?

Also anyone on Ausfish ever fished Mozambique ? - Tales to tell ????

Re: calm seas - fishing in mozambique

Mozambique is a top fishing destination and the Fly fishing guided options are really taking off there in a big way

Here are some pics a mate sent me of a recent fly fishing trip in Mocambique

a double hook up

Lovely pics. Do yopu kinoe where they were fishing when they got the hookups ? Loos like good sport on fly

They went to Benguera to film a fly fishing dvd

Do a search on google and look for things like St Lazarus banks, Pemba, flyfishing in Mozambique etc. I have read articles where the guys who were out on the Lazarus Banks refer to 25 kg wahoo as vermin!!! 50kg plus dog tooth tuna is considered the norm
    One guy landed a 109 pound doggie on the fly awhile back, and a recent report talks about a 76 kg yellow fin on the fly

I have to go. The only problem seems to be the wind and that they get huge swells offshore at certain times.
    This place is what dreams are made off.

Wessel

Wessel

I have a mate that runs charters out to the Lazerus banks. I believe they have actually closed it for the moment. The doggies up there are ridiculous and the majority of the guys that go there dont know anything about jigging for them.
    There is another location called Bassa da India that is also awesome.

Most of the fishos from South Africa that want to catch GT's go up to Mozambique the best that a fishiing buddy of mine caught was a 120lb GT LANDBASED!!! They went one out of six casting plugs from a rocky headland.

are those last 5 photos all taken the same day rod?

Flickflak, what do you mean that "they have closed it at the moment?"

Did the wrong politician get the bribe or is it purely out of an environmental perspective? What gave me hope was the fact that the majority of the charters going out there seem to practise catch and release.

Looking at those pictures, i would not be surprised if all the fish were not taken the same afternoon, never mind the same day. (That silver reel used on the sailfish look suspiciously like a Shilton SL7... ????)

Your mate running charters wouldnt happen to offer better rates for Ausfish members
    I am serious, the minister of war and finance is going with. Her Xmas present is a 12 weight. Whatever it takes is what I say
    If you do not object, then please PM me details or just a website reference and I will take it from there.

Wessel

Wessel

I will get an E mail address for you and find out more, but it did sound like it was for enviromental reasons but you can never say with that place cos everyone is always standing with there hand out.

No_Wind
    I am not sure, He just said they were there for a week filming and got some great fish that was his first billo on fly gear.