Thread: Beginner again

Beginner again

After a few recent saratoga trips I want to try flyfishing. Not sure if I should go 6-7 weight or 8-9 weight. My application would be bass, sooties, toga, light saltwater like flathead.

I've looked at GL2 Loomis in an 8 weight and have heard a lot about Innovator Distance. What about Gillies or Pfleuger? As a beginner I'm not looking at a $500 rod but if I have to spend a little more to get a much better outfit I will.

The bloke selling the 8 weight Loomis said that it would be OK for estuary barra also which would be handy but the main focus is the top species.

What about reels. Saltwater is the main concern as obviously a lot of reels are built for freshwater.

Re: Beginner again

check the responses to "Beginner needs help", - in the FLY Chat board - started by JIMFISHER - should give you some good info.

If you're fishing in estuaries, go to the 8/9 wt - will tame GT as well.

Mike

Re: Beginner again

Something else worth mentioning - the bigger rod will allow you to cast bigger flies - rule of thumb.

Also your rod needn't be the most expensive, focus on the reel, and the quality of the fly line

Mike