Thread: Barramundi on Fly

Barramundi on Fly

Barramundi on Fly,

Weipa is well known as the Barramundi capital of Queensland, Australia’s premier sportsfish. Barramundi are found up the in rivers on snags, creek mouths and along shallow flats. They are regularly caught along the beaches & rocky headlands. Barramundi are ambush feeders, lying still until pray come with-in striking range then they spring to life, inhaling their pray with the suction made by the way they expanding their gills before opening their huge mouths.
    The best way to target Barramundi with a fly rod is to sight cast to them in shallow water. Using unweighted flies on floating lines, cast flies on the their noses, then short sharp 4 to 6 inch strips with a slight pause between strips. The pause is the key to good Barramundi stripping, with most strikes are normally on the pause.
    With visual strikes its very tempting to try to set the hook when you see the fly disappear into the fishes mouth, however this would be a mistake because the fly is suspended in the water which was inhaled with your fly. The best thing to do is wait to the fish is felt; this takes a couple of seconds (not to mention huge amount of discipline) for the fish to expel the water though it’s gills. If you don’t wait, nine time out ten your hook will not find a mark. Once the strike is felt though the lines use a firm strip strike, don’t lift the rod until the hook is set. When hooked, the fish will come out of the water shaking it’s head with it’s gills flared, this is an attempt to dislodge the fly, but this is not the only way a Barramundi can get free. They have razor sharp gill rakers, which have no problems going though the heaviest leaders. When the fish is jumping its a good idea is to lower the rod tip to the opposite side to the way the fish is heading, keeping a good bow in the rod to cushion there head shakes. Once the fish starts to tier, their jumps will be less frequent. Slowly guide the fish in, while maintaining constant pressure. Barramundi also have tiny sand paper like teeth so shock leaders should be 40 lb plus to stop fish wearing through the leader on long fights. When it comes to leaders it’s a bit of a compromise, heaver leaders get less strikes, go too light and the fish will wear though the leader very quickly. Your fly should be connected to your leader with a loop knot this is a mistake that I often see, the knot I like to use is the perfection loop.

Another exciting way fish Barramundi is when they are actively feeding on the surface this mainly happens in muddy water, they herd schools of baitfish up to the top then inhaling air as they strike at the baitfish schools, this is what we call a “Barra boof”. This is the time to use surface flies like poppers & dahlberges.

Barramundi can grow up to 60 kg, the biggest we have taken, weighed 28 kg.
    Common sizes are around 2 to 4 kg, these fish are normally schooling fish and sometime you can catch twenty or more out of a school. I have had a couple of client’s catch 36 from one snag that was exceptional fishing. Fly rods used for Barramundi can range from 6 to 10 weigh. I like to use a 6wt rod, a light rod you can cast all day the down side is casting heavy flies on 4/0 hooks, which sometimes you need to do. Lines will depend on the water being fished, floating & intermediate are the most common. Your fly box should include, pink things, deceivers (weighted & un-weighted), clousers, poppers, dahlberges & Muddler deceiver, tied on 2/0 to 4/0 hooks.
    Colors include, all white, chartreuse on white, blue on white & green on white. For fly recipes for Barramundi go to ############.com custom designs.

Till next time
    Tight lines,

Craig Jenkins.
    "Good Fishing"

Craig Jenkins
    Strikezone Fly & Sportsfishing.

Re: Barramundi on Fly

Great post Craig!! some great info in that one. thanks for sharing.

I'm starting my quest to get a big one on fly- from an impoundment. I've been helped along the way by some mates in Mackay. But I am hoping to get a metery (or better) out of awoonga

Voltz

Re: Barramundi on Fly

Good stuff Craig !!. Look forward to catching up in April mate.
    Regards
    Nat