Thread: fly knots

fly knots

What knot do you use for joining flyline to leader ? Nail knot or other method, do you use slide on shrink wrap "sheaths", to cover the knots and do you think it makes any difference - interested to hear your oipinions and why?

Catchy Fishy

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: fly knots

Braided loops on all my lines - I like the strength it provides. I've had a nail knot let go chasing jacks >. I usually attch a single length of mono or fluro via a loop knot through the braided loop end.

nail knot and super glue

Is this what you mean by a braided loop?

Busy googling - but I'm sure your pic is not what was meant - I could be wrong.

A braided loop is made of braided line, and in creating the loop, the line is spliced back on itself, similar to making a guy rope for a caravan tent.

I'll post something up if I can get to the site.

Mike

Thanks Mike, what would we do without Google?

Is this what you meant?

Wessel

I tie up similar to the bill fish rig with similar knots. Prefer the bimini twist though with a dab of rubber glue worked into the fiber.

ttp://flyfisherman.com/mca/leaders.gif

Add the H in the beginning of you copy and paste into browser

Wessel

ok, will give that braid knot a go, the others are a bit hard to really get an idea of how to tie, looks complicated.

I found a pic - it's not the best.

You can see the braided loops in the packet. They slip on to your fly line and are fastened usually by a nail knot, and hardened with clear nail varnish or similar (although I 'm not sure what is supposed to be similar)

Cheers

Mike

Jack_Lives_Here

Follow the link for briaded loop construction. Once you've done a few it's easy. I also have made some up as wind on leaders for my baicaster.
    http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

Jack Lives Here
    Fantastic link... ...been out had a few beers...but had to quickly check my postings, and this one is really going to help.

I've watched tackle dealers make them, and seen how easy they are to make, but I've been to embarrassed to ask to watch or try a few in the shop.

Now I can practise at my leisure.

Thanks for posting the link

Mike

http://www.killroys.com/knots/knots.htm
    found this site pretty handy

Quote Originally Posted by JackLivesHere
    Follow the link for briaded loop construction. Once you've done a few it's easy. I also have made some up as wind on leaders for my baicaster.
    http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html
    A dramatic improvement to the knot mentioned in the above link is made by inserting the singlestrand wire the opposite way(ie. toward the length not toward the loop).

You insert the wire from about 4 inches from the tag then push it through another 4 inches and push it out(8 inches from the tag)

***make sure that the length of wire you use is at least 20 inches when folded***

You then open the clenched wire and pass the Spool/ line/ reel through the singlestrand - you will now have the braid line between the wire.

Give yourself about 12 inches of line to play with in the form of a loop and pull that loop with the wire through the braid. As the loop pulls through, the tag end doubles back on itself and turns inside out.

adjust the size of the finished loop to whatever size you please then pull the tag through in the same manner as the link. Do not use a nail knot or anything else - not required.

The difference between the two methods is that when you pull on the link version you in effect are opening the loop and potentially pulling it undone. With my method as you apply pressure the loop shortens and can never never never come undone. Like a hangmans noose sort of thing.

cheers...