Thread: Fishing Sandals

Fishing Sandals

Can anyone please help me with some info on this product. I want to buy a pair of sandals to use for fly fishing the beach and flats of the top end, but not to sure what to get. I assume that they would need to have a solid sole???. If anyone can help me with this i would be very gratefull. Also how much they cost and where i can buy them. Thanks heaps

Re: Fishing Sandals

In my experience and I've owned a few pairs now,buy the dearer type you find in camping shops.They cost alot more,but when you only get one summer out of the cheaper ones the dollars start to add up and this is the third season I have had mine and they are still going strong.

Thanks for the reply grubb. Any special name i should ask for???.

not sure about product names in Aus, do you have Hitec ?

I have a pair of Hitec slip on rock shoes, and have used them very effectively for 4 seasons. Wash out with fresh water after each trip, and air to dry helps as well.

Agree with Grub about the cheaper ones, they'll not last.

Also you want the harder soles. A shell, or sharp rock can slice right through even the hardest soles - been there, but still use the same shoes

i wouldn't dream of fishing fwithout them - good for rocks, boating, beach, even as booties for fins if diving

Jack_Lives_Here

Teva do a great little shoe that looks the goods.

If you plan on doing wading, spend the money and get wading boots.
    Patagonia etc are good makes, or check google for other makes. Specialty tackle dealers will be able to point you in the right direction.

Stay away from sandals when wading flats, you are looking for trouble.
    Correl / shells will cut the exposed part of your foot if you trod through the flats and you are guarenteed a nasty infection that can take months to heal if not dealt with properly.

You can get away with sandals on rocks, but get the thicker soled ones. They last longer, offer better protection.

Some guys wear normal tennis shoes, but they tend not to last long and the sand tends to get inside of the shoe causing blisters

Wessel

[smiley=thumbup.gif] Thanks for the reply jack. Have sussed them out and found a pair from columbia clothing corp, that look the goods to. They are columbia interchangeable sandals ( terra ) model. Rang a couple of guys in weipa and had a chin wag and they both said either will do. Thanks again and tight lines. Latitude3256

P.S. Like your i.d number.

The_Walrus

Have a look at Gordons all terrain footwear. Almost indestructible http://www.minian.com.au/

Luc

Thanks for the link Luc. Hey they look great and i certainly like the extra top flats to protect you from the sun as well. Will send of an email and see what they have for me. Have you used them for shallow sand flat fly fishing. Look forward to hear your thoughts. Thanks once again

Tight Lines latitude3256

I'm with Wessel, stick with reef waders/dive boots for the reasons mentioned above as well as sun protection & protection from mangrove roots, grass, weed etc. Steer clear of anything with velcro, stick with large zips but make sure you wash them with fresh water after use and, after exercising the zips, leave them half way so you can take them either way if they happen to stick a bit. I have been using "Adrenalin" boots for years and get good life out of them. All the best , Ray

waggy im with you. Spent a couple of hours with my local fishing agent ( rick dobson) at the aussie angler in greensborough melbourne chewing the fat on sandals or boots. After seeing the scars on his feet i am convinced that wading boots are the way to go heere. Have already organized a pair and this is the way i am going. Also agree with with wessel. Thanks guys and cant wait till i get up there in june. P>S> he also gave me a good tip that when not in the water and fishing from the boat just wear a pair of long socks to stop the sun burn on the top of the feet.