Thread: wire leader or hard mono

wire leader or hard mono

For heavy rigging on fly (10wt / 12 wt or higher) when building bite tippets do you use wire, or stay with hard mono ?

IGFA rules are that no wire may be used - what to you do ?

Re: wire leader or hard mono

and if you use wire what wire ?

What do you fish for?

Things with more and sharper teeth than me will get a short bit of wire.
    Normally a 40 or 30 pound breaking strain.
    I am particular to the knottable wire and an american single strand brand called "Toothie Critters" in a cofee color

Not that I have ever caught one, but when rigging for sailies we use a 12 inch shock section of 80 pound mono.I have heard of guys going up to 200 pound on the shock. No idea how they knot that piece of clothes line.

IGFA rules that dictate.........

unless you are trying to break some record then dont even bother. I fish because I enjoy it and the amount of time I spend out there I wish to enjoy. Not get frustrated because I can not land some fish on a 2 pound tippet....... Tire the thing out and wait for it to die of old age before you eventually mount it on a wall and your name is in some book and all that because you had a fish on a 300 meter long leash which could break at any moment because of some redicilously low breaking strength tippet being used........bla bla bla .....

Sorry, I just dont see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by wessel
    Sorry, I just dont see the point. #
    I know what you mean...but I like to dream that I'll be hralded in the all africa record category for something.

That having been said and done I never check my leader lengths anyway, and I know they are never "right".

Mike

I also use that knottable wire (can't remembe what brand) but it's great. Just tie on a small section to the end of your leader and away you go.

I've never had anything bite through it yet

Peter

Nick_Currey

I use wire when targetting toothies - 30-40lb knottable does the job. and stops macks, tailor etc, although occassionally a bigger spaniard will chew it up.

For round the tropics/reef can get away with 30 - 45 lb mono, I like sneider, or if stealth fishing use some of the heavier clear flurocarbon (the fluro and wire both sink faster than mono - which can also be an advantage in getting bulky flies down in stike zone).

Unless you are chasing IGFA or ANSA points/records (been there done that), I now use sensible lengths and enjoy landing more fish.

good luck
    Nick

will look into knottable wire, thanks for the responses

I've used shiptons knottable wire at times but generally use some heavy mono and hope for a jaw hookup on whatever I'm chasing. The shiptons stuff is quite supple and works pretty well. Theres another knottable wire called tiger wire or something I think that is meant to be the ducks guts? Haven't used it myself though..

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    generally use some heavy mono and hope for a jaw hookup on whatever I'm chasing. #
    Matt.
    This is what I've been doing, but lately have been sliced off more often than I care to admit