Thread: stripping baskets explored

stripping baskets explored

g,day wise ones;have just read about stripping baskets and have a collapsable laundry basket ready for take off and was wondering the function of cable ties or silicone nozzles in the outfit ;being a bit basic on the imagination stakes could someone please enlighten me.thank you

Re: stripping baskets explored

When you strip into the basket, the line forms loops around the cable ties. The cable ties stop the line moving around and hold the "loops" in place. This prevents the line from tangling amongst itself. It appears to work

Matt.

Nice and different topic.

For a stripping basket, in SA anyway, the most common type is a grocery store basket. The plastic type with holes through that allows the wash of the surf / estaurine water etc to pass through the basket easily.

Most use cable ties as well to achieve that which you were highlighting - purpose to allow the coils to lie over the cable ties, and not get the line tangled.

I have seen another method that is preferable to me.

It involved the lids of a specific shampoo bottle but for the sale of the example I will use another product that can be used to equal effect.

Imagine a Kodac / Fuji Camera Film Case (The old ones we used to get before digital)

The top (open side) has a slightly wider "rim" than the rest of the case, allowing the lid to clip in place.

Determine the exact circumfurence (or .5 mm smaller ) and drill / burn several hols this size in your basket. Then from the bottom, force the camera cases (or shampoo lids) in, until the rim sits tight from the bottom. Then silicon in place underneath.

This gives a very nice coil holder, and is less stringy than cable ties, is far more robust, but is a b1tch if one of the bottles comes undone (you then have a hoge unnecesarry hole.

I have my bottles, but have never fitted them (5yrs later). I have a mate that has and he swears by them.

To me - cable ties are quick and effective.

Cheers

Catchy Fishy

Note to above post: I also have a fold up basket that I take on the boat as it uses less space

thanks guys.I will have a go with some cable ties in a collapsable basket ;cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catchy_fishy
    It involved the lids of a specific shampoo bottle but for the sale of the example I will use another product that can be used to equal effect.

Imagine a Kodac / Fuji Camera Film Case (The old ones we used to get before digital)

The top (open side) has a slightly wider "rim" than the rest of the case, allowing the lid to clip in place.
    The perfect thing for this that I (and a lot of others around here) use is the top of a canister of sealant or similar that goes into the caulking guns. You know the little white witches hat type things. You can generally get them for about 10c each.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    [quote author=catchy_fishy link=1142561234/0#2 date=1142623467]

The perfect thing for this that I (and a lot of others around here) use is the top of a canister of sealant or similar that goes into the caulking guns. #You know the little white witches hat type things. #You can generally get them for about 10c each.

Matt.[/quote]

That would be perfect, how do you make the hole in the basket, and where do you find the witch hats seperately ?

Large hardware stores sell the nozzles (witches hats) as they are always getting gummed up. If you have a bunnings wharehouse or something they should sell them. I used a small holesaw in the bottom of a sturdy plastic container for the holes. I prefer a bit of with my basket so it is less likely to move around when it's up the front of the boat moving along at speed. I have seen some with ply inserts in the bottom and holes drilled through the ply instead of through the bottom of the basket. It's a great idea as you don't need to drown them in glue to prevent them from pushing back through as the bottom of the container will stop it.

Matt.

Clever with the ply, have also never looked for the silicon nozzles loose but will do out of interest.

Useful info. Thanks

Supermarket plastic basket, must be full of holes. Not much point in having one that can collect water, Cable tiies or silicon nozzles. I use cable ties. But I also use shooting heads and fairly stiff running line.
    If on boats get a panel of prawn net and drape all over the things that might cause problems. You can use the net on rocks, if you are into brick fishing.

MaxG

You blokes must have read my mind. Could you post some pics please.

A good thing about a supermarket plastic basket with cable tiies, is that the cable tiies can be fold down to store you gear in the basket and it's light weight.

Tight Lines, Craig
    "Good Fishing"

Craig Jenkins
    Strikezone Fly & Sportsfishing.