Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who does what flyfishing ?

Who does what flyfishing ?

I've set up a poll to get a feel for what type of flyfisherman read/post on this chatboard. I'm sure everyone will agree it's one of the quieter boards, and I'd like to see it more active personally, because it is the one part of fishing that I am most passionate about. #Before I carry on launching down a road that's going to bore everyoen to tears I thought I should get back to basics and find out what your true interests are.

I hope you'll answer the short and simple poll.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Who does what flyfishing ?

My fresh water fishing is mostly for two african indigenous species:

Yellow Fish, and tiger fish - see the pic of the tiger

Man, those tigers look like they could take a small child

It's the only fresh water fishing I know where you have to use a wire trace
    They mostly eat younger tiger, tilapia - kind of like bream, and other fish - freshwater pelagic - awesome fun, but very difficult on fly as they are renowned for spitting the hook.

They are only found in one river / dam system in SA (mosly found in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana) and I'm going there on 1st weekend of March for four days - can't wait.

Will post pics - [if i catch]

Quite a few votes coming in for Freshwater Other - Like what might I ask ?

Sooty Grunter, Saratoga & Barra are in the Freshwater Other category for me. I also hope to add Spangled perch, Catfish, Gar & Sleepy Cod to the list in the future.
    Regards Ray

Waggy
    Seems we are in that same space of chasing species - the only down side I see is I never get to be expert at any one species, and end up being like a novice or generalist.

I envy and respect the fishos out that have spent years in pursuit of one species, and honed their skills in that regard.

But hey I also like all the research, and planning and scheming that goes with chasing down new species

Mike

I'm with you Mike. I prefer to add to my species list rather than continually target high scores of the same srecies. I also like to add to the different methods of catching each species such as surface, subsurface, etc. I recently got into some Sooties on fast sink line in rocky areas. Next time I go up north, I will be keen to get them on the surface with dahlbergs and gurglers etc.
    Regards, Ray

I fish predominately saltwater for tropical species but often hook up on trees and other boats

p.s. I think I own more flies than I have actually caught fish. But I like it all the same

Quote Originally Posted by 88fishframe

p.s. I think I own more flies than I have actually caught fish. But I like it all the same #
    Gotta agree with you there.

Anyone got a pic of a Sootie they can post ?

sorry..picture not uploading ????

hey mike, as the name says Atlantic Salmon. the most annoying fish to go near, they stop feeding as soon as they hit the fresh water after 1 winter or two feeding in the salt off greenland, but even more annoying is that all the best fishing beats have been brought by clubs and syndicates, the only way to get near them is to just fish the water and plead ignorance if confronted, 53 salmon last season cant be to bad for a self confessed poacher...