Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who does what flyfishing ?

Re: Who does what flyfishing ?

Atlantic Salmon - What gear do you use and where do you catch your fish ?

Spey rod / conventional fly, and what type of flies - typical tubular salmon flies, slipped onto a treble, or again the conventional old school salmon flies?

Have done some salmon fishing in Scotland - but I could only afford to book and pay for 3 hours, and didn't land a single fish - fishermans -luck as they call it. The syndication is so bad that for one day in prime season you could pay the equivalent of the value of my house >

I had more luck in the lake district chasing trout on a small motorised rowboat - bloody cold is all I remember

Here is a good Sooty. Hope this pic turns out, it's my first go.[img][/img]

Waggy

Have sent you a Pm - check it out, on what to do - your attachments are not coming up.

CF

i mostly use spey rods a 12ft 6 8-9 weight and a 14ft 9-10 weight for most of the fishing except when the grilse turn up around july when i break out a single hand 6 weight to get the most out of them, the average grilse is about 6lb, mostl of my time is spent around the bigger of the munster rivers with the river lee in co cork a few mins away, and with the season in cork just started and days getting longer after a long winter i will be sure to make the most of my last year in ireland...

Mine would be freshwater by boat and i normally catch saratoga,bass,goldens ,and trout back in tassie, I hope to add barramundi to the list this year. i have caught many other speices but the Trout is my fav so far i spose because i grew up catching them in Tasmania.

Cheers TT

all except bass which we dont get here in WA that I am aware of, but I did hit them when I lived in Sydney.

brown and rainbow trout, red fin, herring, flathead, tailor, whiting, mullet, king george whiting, salmon and so on. And I only use a 6wt rod, so tuna and the big boys are out of the question at this time, but maybe in the future. Salmon give me a fair bity of curry, but its handlable.

end point - if it swims and its not massive, I'll throw a fly at and see how I go.

Mike, as you've probably picked up from my other posts my favouritye fly fishing is freshwater (as is all my fishing just about) and Australuian natives, primarilky tropical species - barra, sooties, tarpon, jacks, gaint herring, rifle fish but also sub tropical -temperate species - bass, cod, yellow belly/golden perch. I've also done a bit of trout fishing but only for the frustration factor (and the fact they don't taste bad when they come out of a smoker!) cause I think they (browns) fight like a wet socK! although rainbows are better in the fight department.

Regards Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Nice Tiger fish, huge teeth almost as big as your guides..
    You can't beat a Gt on fly. I think )&lt))))">
    "Good Fishing"

Craig Jenkins
    Strikezone Fly & Sportsfishing.

Where, when, gear used????

That must have been a 90 minute fight? Awesome fish by the way.

Wessel

I see you have got a thing for GT's.... It was caught down at Pera Heads about a hour south of Weipa. The fish was teased up with a hookless popper then we made a cast to the big fish with a 12 wt fly rod, about a 45 minute fight. A pretty happy chappy . www.############.com
    "Good Fishing"

Craig Jenkins
    Strikezone Fly & Sportsfishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikezone_fly
    You can't beat a Gt on fly. I think )&lt))))">
    I too live for GT's. I study them, their habits, their feeding patterns and when my wife's not watching I even sing like they do, and I do that little tail dance and skip that they do in the surf zone just before they attack after they've schooled their prey. (Like when a marlin lights up)

Bloody nice fish Strikezone. The only other fish I've heard that comes close if not better is the permit - but I still lean to the latter having never caught a permit.

Mike

Tuna in SE Qld.

Matt.

Mainly Tuna, Mac and Longtails,Golden trevally and their relitives and queenfish in the salt.
    Barra, Bass and Saratoga in the fresh.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Dolan
    Mainly Tuna, Mac and Longtails,Golden trevally and their relitives and queenfish in the salt.
    Barra, Bass and Saratoga in the fresh.
    Paul
    Good to see you still lurking around Paul. You been getting any fish lately? I hear the tuna have been on and off up there (Hervey Bay).

Matt.

Matt yeh mate still kickin around,been getting a few clients Longies and mac tuna in the last few weeks and a few for myself also been getting a few barra at the dam on the Dancer that Lionel aka Lonk and I have been working on for a while now.
    The fish in the dam just love this fly, this is one of the fish from last sunday mornin.
    You'll have to come up for a fish.
    Paul