Thread: Advice Needed On Fly Fishing Outfit

Derek_Bullock

Advice Needed On Fly Fishing Outfit

Hi

I live at Wagga Wagga and am looking at taking up flyfishing predominantly the Tumut River, Eucembene River, Thredbo River and perhaps others in the surrounding area mainly fishing for trout.

What advice could you guys give me on a medium priced fly fishing outfit.

I know I could walk into a tackle store and be sold whatever a slick salesperson wanted to but I want to go prepared.

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Derek_Bullock

Re: Advice Needed On Fly Fishing Outfit

I cant even bump it as its still on the front page. Is there no one out there with some advice.

Derek

Gidday Derek

MAte ther eare a few goo dshops down your way.

If you are just wanting to target the natives and some of the magnificent trout of the Tumut when its not an irrigation chanel, then look at a 6 wt.
    Vision do really great valued rods and definitely go with 4 piece,
    THis will be 'heavy ' enough to cast all your trout nymphs wtd. and nativ eflies and also when you get to the coast you vcan chase bream flatties , whiting , salmon etc with it.
    Teamed with teh right lines and a decent reel this will more than allow you to catch teh species you mentioned.

I would get a 6 wt weight fwd floater, any good brand SA, Cortland Rio etc, ( dont buy a real cheap line as you will just get frustrated), look around for a decent reel, Dragonfly Cartidge are good and you can get cartridges so you only need one reel.

Hope this helps.

Billybob

Can't stress the importance of the reel enough. Especially of you will be using it in the salt as well - even if just once.

Think anti - corrosion, and the braking / drag systems. (but for trout this isn't too critical).

On the rod side 4 piece is nice, three is ok - they're just fancy versions to make transporting them easier. (& storage).

If you are being budget conscious just get a two piece to start with. Ask for a chance to cast the rod. Make sure you are comfortabl;e with it - rods have different actions - fast medium and slow. I cannot stand a rod with a slow action - drives me crazy, but a good mate can't stand a fast action one - each person has their preference. Ask them to show you rods with different actions, in 6 and 7 wt.

Reel weights must match rod weights - the shop will advise you here on the right reel weight for the rod (kind of like buying shoes - someone goes to the back and brings out the right size in the style you want).

As for line weights experiment a bit. The norm is that the line weight irrespective of floating, sinking or intermediate (hence why you would have spare spools) should match the rod and reel.

I prefer a heavier line weight and have found that i can cast better if I go up one weight in lines. So with a 6 wt outfit (Rod and reel) I would use a 7wt line, and for a 10wt rod I would consider going to an 11 wt line (at this weight only in floating) Sinking lines get very heavy and a 10wt sinking line is heavy enough. 12 wt too.

Don't be scared to ask the guys at the shop to rig up all the combos you can think of.

5 combinations
    6wt rod - fast, medium and slow action
    6wt reel - 6wt sinking line; 6wt floating line

another two combos
    6wt rod - with you preferred action
    7wt reel (could be the same reel in certain cases) some fit 5-7wt
    7wt sinking line; 7wt floating line

MAke notes as you test the combinations - then buy.

Hope it helps

Mike

Aslo have you considered second hand -e-bay or the likes. There are good bargains to be had especially with flyfisherman. One rod is never enough so inevitably another is bought and then one day you realise you have more than 10 rods - and start selling opff terminal gear, get some cash and buy a new reel - it never ends

Sorry Derek but I don't bo diddly about the light outfits for trout. My experience starts at an 8#. One thing I would have said though (sorry catchy_fishy ) is that the reel is probably the least important thing of the whole outfit. If your chasing fast fish that run hard such as pelagics or something then yes, definately a good smooth drag will help tremendously but if your chasing estuary or freshwater fish, I would be more inclined to back the notion that the reel does little more than hold the line that your not casting. I would be more inclined to put the money into a decent line and a better rod to help with the casting which will be your biggest source of frustration if you are just starting out. Presenting the fly to the fish is the hard part and also the most important and this is all line, rod and you.

My 2c
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    One thing I would have said though (sorry catchy_fishy #) is that the reel is probably the least important thing of the whole outfit. #If your chasing fast fish that run hard such as pelagics or something then yes, definately a good smooth drag will help tremendously but if your chasing estuary or freshwater fish, I would be more inclined to back the notion that the reel does little more than hold the line that your not casting. #
    My 2c #
    Matt.
    Agreed 100% - if only freshwater you can afford to "skimp on the reel" - just don't buy the cheapest - check the dragonfly #/ BFR, but not Okuma (if you have them) or the cheaper ranges - In my experience they fall apart, and you end up after a season buying another reel anyway.

Catchy Fishy

Ps But I stress if you are going to consider using this rod in salt conditions - then do not compromise on the reel - you would just be wating your money - or you could do what I do, and have different rigs, nice reason to buy more tackle

Hi Derek
    I run Fly Fishing Courses. I have one coming up at Tumut . Check out the details on my web site www.jcflyfishing.com.au
    Cheers John
    John Coles Fly Fishing,Sydney