Thread: cairns mac tuna fun

cairns mac tuna fun

just been out this avo looking for tuna..didnt have to travel far. about 5km offshore from yorkies knob.it was hard getting close but managed a few( 1 on fly rod )
    sadly left camera in car (duh) but got a snap back home.
    havent had so much fun since all my trout fishing in england.might start leaving my other rods at home more and get back into the fly fishing
    was using a 10weight sage RLPXi, hardy angel reel
    photo taken by 5yr old ..so please forgive
    daniel

Re: cairns mac tuna fun

Quote Originally Posted by fishface
    might start leaving my other rods at home more and get back into the fly fishing

photo taken by 5yr old ..so please forgive
    daniel
    I'll bet in years to come the memory of the mac tuna will fade but never the one of the 5yr old taking the pic - noting to apologise for - shows you, the boat, the fish, and the fly rod.

Buy or Girl ?

Tell him/her that he/she did a great job

You too -well done - I also love them on fly - great sport. #Broke a 10wt Orvis rod on one once - they fight like demons around the boat.

Catchy Fishy

Congrats mate, must have put a real bend in that 10 weight.

W

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Good one Daniel, there's a few bigger Longtails getting around that area too - they'd be a real handful on that gear. Spose it doesn't matter now that the wind is back up (bummer)

cheers,

steve

ye thats true catchy fishy.but hard to get bord of a bending fly rod on a palergic
    it was good fun but i reckon a 6-8weight would do for that size fish. .might tempt to take my 5weight trout rod for a challenge
    steve, do you fly fish?if not give it a whirl youll love it
    longtails would be fantasctic on that 10weight. are they feeding on the same baitfish?
    when do they yellowfin start moving in? now thats my target.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Yeah maybe one day I'll give it a go. I'm no expert on Yellowfin, but I've caught them mixed in with Mac Tuna so don't give up hope!

cheers,

steve

Quote Originally Posted by fishface
    it was good fun but i reckon a 6-8weight would do for that size fish. .might tempt to take my 5weight trout rod for a challenge
    The lighter the better - but only if you intend keeping the fish. If you're fishing to let them go again, a 5wt is simply not fair (big catch 'n release fan).

But here's a story - 7kg Dorado on a 6wt in SA - also mention of a few in Aus - check this out.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1140121508

Long and short - keep the tackle appropriate to the fish species you are chasing. If you can bring them (Mac Tunas) in on a 5/6 wt quickly and release them not too exhausted - I say go for it.

(Just make sure you have enough backing - smaller reels often are limited in that regard.)

Mike

your right again catchy fishy. since ive been fly fishing more so for the last 12yrs i do practice catch and release.fly fishing for some reason does convert you to letting them go more often than not. if you read any of my reports you wont find more than 2 fish in my coolbox(sometimes thats all i managed to catch)
    the tuna do fight to the death and a 5 weight would mean certain death. i did keep 2 for future trips for bait. as you know bait is bloody expensive.
    might head out for some more action tomorrow avo......all will be released ( unless a yellowfin )
    daniel

Glad to hear about the C&R.

There is something else about them - catch it on fly, bring it to the boat and slice it up as Sashimi there and then - awesome. You get the fun, the freshness, and the taste all in one sitting.

A question - who's in the pic ? Is that the 5year old ? More specifically who took the photo ?

I wanna rag you about the quality of that photo if you took it, but dare not knock the kid

Mike

haha your right iam not any better by the look of that photo...i better stick to the fishn.
    the small digi cameras are not that good when there are moving objects in the dark.
    daniel

Gottcha

Cheers

Mike