Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: braided line on a fly rod

Re: braided line on a fly rod

mainly bionic for me.

30lb bionic upto my #10 reels then 50lb.

if you are good at knots and use sensible tippets/leaders you wont lose anything.

I've got 30lb Bionic on some reels and it's great Aussie made too [smiley=thumbsup.gif],and some 30lb Scientific Anglers XTS on others and find them both good lines [smiley=thumbsup.gif].Also got some dacron on an old SA 1011 thats been there for about 17 years and still going strong and has caught more tuna and goldens and others that I'd care to count.Usin it in the dams now for Barra so it wont see water too often any more.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by JackLivesHere
    Bionic gets the double thumbs up from me. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] For tuna chasing I get 500m of 50lb on my Ross easily. My others reals have 30lb.
    What Ross ?

Jack_Lives_Here

Big Game 6

Gel Spun Polyethylene is pretty good backing but hates knots. You can get a 100% connection by doing a coasxial splice, see pic. Its done by stuffing your backing right through a 10 inch length of 20lb Gudebrod braided monofilament braid. Theu you splice it into a loop, as per the pic and trim it off and add just one little drop of Loctite CS,"super glue".
    You can terminate any GsP braid, NOT FIRELINE, with this loop, for any kind of fishing. Cherrs MaxG

Yes, Dacron dose rot over time. I have tried Bionic braid which is a very good braid but found the Bionic absorbed water causing some of my fly reels to corrode. I changed to the Berkley Fire Line which doesn't take on any water and has solved the problem. Now I wouldn't use anything else .

Tight Lines, Craig
    "Good Fishing"

Craig Jenkins
    Strikezone Fly & Sportsfishing.

I suggest you read carefully the three posts on GSP, Thats what they were put there for, so you, and everyone else would know what it is and what makes it tick. I am sick of reading uninformed posts on the subject. And the very ill advice handed out to others by guys who obviously know nothing about it. So I puled this stuff out of a book manuscript, it was too big anyway, and made it public domain, and posted it here.
    Frstly GSP is hydrophobic, its doesn't absorb water, and if the reel spool corrodes is a crap reel because it shouldn't if its anodised. Anyway whats wrong with taking the line off every now and again to clean it.
    Fireline will give you the same result on your reel, it isn't the line that is causing it, its the salt in the bundle of line, and between the line bundle and the anodising thats getting at the reel.
    Its certainly not the lines fault. Look at yourself for this one. MaxG

For the record, Dacron and Micron does not rot, its made of polyester but it is high drag in the water because of its diameter. And BB is not MADE in Australia, its braided here, it the fibre is made in Japan by Toyobo Co and its the best braided line available since its made of the latest yarns.
    For BB 20lb breaks at 28lb, 30 breaks at 42lb and 50 breaks at 74lb.
    Its made like that deliberatly to have the same diameters as other braided lines to keep abrasion resistance high.
    Mien Gott?????
    MaxG

Hi Max,

I know I made a comment in my post about Dacron not being as "rot-resistant" as new braids. Maybe the term should have been "Perish". I do know that some of my old dacron (and I mean OLD) eventually became quite weak as though rotten. and that was line that had never touched the salt.

Likewise I have had fireline that just started snapping after a year or more of use. *shrug*

Don't know why it happens though.

Cheers

Well considering the number of views shown on those GsP braids 1,2 and 3 postings its very apparent that the technical bits about the fibre, which is or should be important for guys who use it or want to know what the hell "braid" is, isn't on the average guys agenda.
    It beats me you know, the stuff is on this forum for everyone to read, and it has everything you need to know to make the stuff work for you, but its ignored and the forum is full of grabage about braids which is very misleading.
    Aren't you guys curious as to why I would put that lot on the forum.
    There are a few facts. GsP braids are braided from Gel Spun Polyethylene yarns and the stuff is thin, very strong and hates knots. NO knot makes 100%.
    It doesn't cut hands or fingers if handled correctly, but if you want to wrap it around your hands with big fast fish then "Hullo Stumpy".
    Cheers I suggest a read of those GsP posts. Its all factual stuff. MaxG