Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: braided line on a fly rod

braided line on a fly rod

can i use braided line on a fly rod as backing ??

Re: braided line on a fly rod

Why not?

It will last much longer than mono line.

I use braided line as backing - product goes by the name of DACRON - I use it on all my lines from 2wt, to 12wt, in different strengths.

I'm sure if you searched google you'd find something more about it

Braid is now the most popular backing on fly gear. It allows much more backing than dacron through obvious diameter differences.You dont always need that much backing, but it helps if you are chasing pelagics.Weight can also be a factor.
    I am pretty sure that braid started its fishing life as fly line backing, and when Harro and Don McPherson perfected the formula converted to fishing line, via the Bionic Braid brand.
    Paul McNaught

In the great evolution of tackle have I missed something - what's the difference between Braid and Dacron - seems I'm behind

Hey guys,

Dacron is an older technology and was created by Dupont. It is a braided line made of polyester I believe. Been around since the 1920s. It is not as rot resistant as Nylon (mono) lines, but has been the backing of choice for flylines.

The new gelspun braids and fused lines have been taking off as backing over the last decade particularly for heavy saltwater applications where you need a lot of backing, and where you want to minimise drag in the water. If a longtail takes a 200 meter curving run, its pulling a lot of line through the water. The water drag alone can pull the hook or break the line.

I still use Dacron, firstly because its what I've got, but i have resisted switching because of fear of sliced fingers. I have caught tuna to around 5kgs on my 9# and not been spooled. Don't know how I would fair against a long-tail though

Here is an interesting article on the subject for you:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...n_gelspun.aspx

And here's a small tuna to get your heart started....

There are people out there with 600 meters of gelspun on their reels.

If a fish can take that much backing, then he can everything thank you very much....

Gelspun cuts through fingers like the proverbial hot knife through butter.
    You have to learn new knots

I prefer braid. If a tuna wins by taking 300 meters of braid, then you are definately not going to win the fight with 600 meters of line out either. The drag created by the line will cause the tippet to break every time. Extra cost with not benefit in my opinion,

Wessel

about 4 weeks ago i had a tuna take my fly line $130 worth of sci angler too i was so pissed off so i think its wiser to use a weaker tippett and loose your fly than all of your line. I only had about 200m of dacron so maybe 400-600m of braid would have saved my line but who knows im switching to gelspun now and i think its by far the best option for chasing the bigger fish.
    Cheers
    Nathan

Hey roger where do you hail from? i Know a roger were i live just wondering if your 1 and the same?
    Thanks
    Nathan

I have heard of gelspun, and am sure i don't have it, but I will check.

My tackle dealers usually rig up for me, when I change lines, as they have a nice little tool with apedal that spins the backing on - sure you've all seen it. I sit and watch fishing videos and drink coffeee in the shop, planning the next trip, or discussing the last one.

Next tiem I pop in, I'll be sure to ask what they would have put on.

Thanks for the heads up.

Both Mias and Solly's stock it. Cheaper per meter to buy the 1000 meter roll.
    Gelspun has its advantages, but I am scared of the stuff.

I have witnessed a couple of bad cuts when an angler accidentally touches the line with a big fish on the other end running away with the line across its back.

Quote Originally Posted by wessel
    Both Mias and Solly's stock it. Cheaper per meter to buy the 1000 meter roll.
    Gelspun has its advantages, but I am scared of the stuff.
    Service like that at Mias and Solly's (not to slate them coz they are good) but you gotta be joking, in comparison.
    I was talking about Flyfishers Unlimited - run by Murray and Ricko. #They have a huge spool of backing they wind on for you if you buy a new line from them - i'm sure its dacron.

Mike

Jack_Lives_Here

Bionic gets the double thumbs up from me. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] For tuna chasing I get 500m of 50lb on my Ross easily. My others reals have 30lb.

Nick_Currey

Dacron (20 or 30lb) is OK around the estuaries and near inshore, where do not lose a lot of line to speedsters. I Use 30 or 50lb Harros bionic braid when chasing tuna, mackerel etc, as lower diameter, and hence less water drag.

Wish this wind would POQ

Nick

50lb Bionic for me as well. (tuna fishing) Some are using jigging braid now with the colour change so they can see how far the tuna run.

Matt.