Thread: Titanium guides

Titanium guides

Has anybody got any idea as to how good the titanium oxide guides are?

From what I have read, they are apparently super light, they can misform to a certain extent and will always return to their original shape (same as those bendy spectacle frames you get),
    line runs through it as smooth as silk etc.

Apparently they are the rage in trout fishing. Their very light weight allows super light rods. I am more interested in their corrosion resistance for saltwater use and their abillity to withstand a beating being used on a boat.

Anybody with experience in these, or who has an opinion about them?

Wess

Re: Titanium guides

they are worth $350.00 as i asked a rod builder to use the Titanium guides . to make a barra baitcaster rod and it come in the end worth $900.00 to get one make for me that,s lot of money

cool dude

i have built three rods for saltwater using titanium guides, no rust whatsoever, much better than plated guide frames, only way to go if you are building a rod for saltwater use.

Nick_Currey

Hi Wessel,

Titanium guides are great. My next set of rod rebuilds or new ones will have them on. They are super smooth and a lot less friction than std snake guides. Titanium is virtually rust free, hence extra cost and is used in US Space program because of high strength to weight ratio and low corrodibility.

As far as costs go they are reasonable (US$ 5.29 - 7.96 each) for Fuji TLSG titanium SIC inserts or US$3.67 - 5.58 for USA Titans. Suggest lookup a great rod building supplier - "mudhole custom tackle" in USA. Cheap cheap blanks and rod building bits - gear that you cannot source in Australia. I regularly buy a 50mm pvc tube full of blanks and Fedex door to door is only $US20 -25.

Good luck

Nick

Anybody with an opinion on these guides as an option?

They will be for saltwater use on a 9 weight

Titan Series
    NIC 16
    NIC 12
    NIF 10 X 2
    NIF 8X 6
    NHLT 8-4.5 Tip

The product can be viewed here:
    http://www.americantackle.us/docs/titan.htm

Regards

Wessel