Thread: Estuary Fly Fishing

Estuary Fly Fishing

G'day
    I have just started fly fishing the estuaries of the gold coast chassing bream, tarpon, trevally, queenfish, giant herring and jacks. I havn't had great luck and i was hoping that you could tell me some good flies and colures that are productive.

Thanks T-roy

Re: Estuary Fly Fishing

Gidday T- Roy

Mate all of yur natural colours will work , along with chart/white, yellow/white and try a couple of red/yellow.

Just like every sort of fishing its all about being persistent and fishing teh areas that will hodl fish.

BAsically everywhere you would throw a bait or lure, throw a fly.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice mate

Sorry T-roy

JUst read back over my post.

The flies I mainly use are clousers in size 4 and up to a #1.
    Mainly use synthetics these days as teh flies dont get wrecked as easy.

Clousers will work well - don't deviate too far. Also try straight straemer patterns and small lefty's.

I have found that in the lefty's the natural fibres are still the best - white tail feathers splayed and peacock herl for the back - use any red synthetic for the throat.

In clousers or streamers also try pink and white in combination - works well on blues / jacks.

remember if you are targeting jacks that you cannot strip line fast enough. When you think you are retrieving as fast as you can then you need to find a way to double that pace on every retrieve - exhausting but exhilirating.

Also don't discount poppers - excellent as a struggling baitfish imitation when pulled less fast through the surface to give that popping action. Both on a floating line, clousers could be an intermediate line - still a medium fast to very fast strip though - species dependent.

All pelagics will take a fly - you just have to present it as if it is escaping food. Likewise with fish that feed on smaller food like crustaceans etc - same concept applies. As always in flyfishing : "MATCH THE HATCH"

Thanks mate

Nick_Currey

Suggest you look up some prawn/shrimp flys, in natural or soft pink colour - no2 hook. These resemble the humble ol prawn which will catch most of the bottom species you mention. Need to fish on the bottom with a slow "flick, flick, draw type action. Suggest a no2 sink line or line with good sink tip to get it down. Work the drop-off edge of sandbank drop offs and structure, especially for bream and jacks - the edge of pontoons etc

For the tarpon, tailor, queenies etc, they are on smaller size so a No1 clouser or white deceiver (to resemble a whitebait/herring found in goldie system) will work. Look for fish chopping or working bait. Suggest a intermediate clear line and let fly sink into/through boiling fish and then strip, usually gets hit on the sink.

Good luck

Nick

R_K_HILL

Go around bridges (but not standing on them)

Hi T-Roy
    You have selected the hardest fishes to hook up not impossible but, for starters I sugest to fish for flathead on the sand flats, myself I mostly use clousers and baitfish type flies, prefered colours white or chartreus, it doesn't mean the other colours don't work.
    good luck .

vince.

Ps. T-Roy Why don't you go to the SEQFF club they have a meeting tomorrow 7.30 pm its at mermaid bowls club Markeri st. we have club outings casting very nice friendly people, you learn a lot.

SEQFFC member.

try a dynamite a-bandit

or the throbn rodney

both great lures for estuary bream