Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite fly : Fresh Water

What's your favourite fly : Fresh Water

What's your favourite fresh water pattern to fish with ?

Re: What's your favourite fly : Fresh Water

Love the bloop of a Dahlberg diver at night in a barra lagoon. It is only surpassed by the Boof that sometimes follows.

Medium sized pink clousers - catch every thing from barra to sooties to bass to cod to goldens to tarpon to.....
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Favourite : Red eyed damsel

Most revered : blood worm, on a good day You can bet a hookup on a blood worm is a definate cert, especially in rapids in small streams

Heres some more pink clouser victims

and another

Jim
    what reel are you using in the pics ?

British Fly Reel (BFR) Dragonfly - I have two of them one for fishing 8 wt (395) and another for a 5 wt (355) - love both of them - smooth drags and robustly made - here's a pic of the smaller one with a decent golden also taken on a pink clouser (surprise surprise) - Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Tait
    here's a pic of the smaller one

You look much prettier in the pic with the 5wt than in the pic with the sootie.

I know the BFF well, I have a 4wt BFR. Very nice reels.

Quote Originally Posted by catchy_fishy
    [quote author=Jim_Tait link=1139770607/0#7 date=1139970639] here's a pic of the smaller one

You look much prettier in the pic with the 5wt than in the pic with the sootie.

[/quote] Why thank you (I think) it must be the daggy NQ native versus the civilised Canberran influence!!

Ok Jim since its you and I on this one - and i am earning respect for your abilities with a pink clouser - can you post up a good pic of your pink clouser, and give strand legths, hook sizes, all materials in the fly - like pearlescent or flashabou or peacock herl or whatever,eye sizes, bead chain or dumbells, stick on or paint on eyes, etc. I want to tie some up for my next trip.

Hey Catchy,

hate to admit my ignorance but I don't yet tie my own flies - despite encoragement from mates who do!!

I don't think the specific nature of the material matters as much with big flies for chasing tropical species (ie c/f matching the hatch for sourthern trout) - I usually buy Felties Flies - pink clousers (made in south Africa I believe) - they do have dumbell eyes which are great for getting down to depth where I then like to use a relatively slow short strip retrieve. I'll take a picture of a selection of my 'pink flies' and post it when I get organised. Its not only clousers I get into - large (for barra) and small to medium (for every thing else) pink things are also excellent for freshwater tropical species - I use them heaps as well although I think the clousers have the edge on them as they don't have as much feather material and get down quicker - pink things are great in terms of generating a pulsating look in the water that seems to tempt barra when they're a bit shut down - regards Jim.

A Muz Wilson Fuzzel Bugger in Emerald. Has accounted for many trout here in the west this season.

Hard to beat a big noisily fished Dahlberg!

I went trout fishing this weekend just gone, and caught on a San Juan - first time in ages.