Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doublehand fly rod???

doublehand fly rod???

am heading back from ireland soon, after a few years over here chasing salmon i have built up a handy collection of single and double fly rods, i was wondering if anybody on the bay has tried a 12ft or 14ft double for the mac's or longtails, not only can you pump out a fair wack on a overhead cast, when there are few on board a spey cast could be used, just wondering as im a bit attached to my sage rods by now, any thaughts from some old sea dogs on this, cheers boys...

Re: doublehand fly rod???

Atlantic Salmon
    you'll be lucky - if I were you, sadly I'd keep your best one and try and sell them in Scotland / Ireland.

My guess is Spey rods (double handed fly rods) are not understood except by salmon fishers

Atlantic_salmon,
    I am yet to hear of anybody using these rods out of boats on tuna or other heavy fish.

I reckon the challenges might be in managing that much line successfully, and landing a big tuna which is circling under the boat.

If you enjoy using them, no doubt you'll find scenario's where they will be ideal. Give it a go and give us a report

Voltz

its hard to let a sage rod go. my fly rods are sage( only 2 of them) 5 weight and got a 10weight for the tuna and other palergics. i just couldnt part with them. shoulda had the 10weight out today..was in the middle of a mac tuna frenzy. check out the reel attached cant wait to hear it scream
    daniel

mmmm. do one post get 3 up! lets try that picture again. either the site is playing up or its me.

Quote Originally Posted by fishface
    check out the reel attached cant wait to hear it scream
    That looks beautiful - what is it ?? 0 Modified - just read it - How good are the Hardy reels ??

yep 0 modified hardy angel 10weight.
    life time garantee so i figure they must be ok

Out of interest, how much backing can you fit on that reel?

Wessel

thats a great reel all right, a good mate of mine over here has splashed on the 6/7 for sea trout, the only gripe he has with it is it is to good to be using in the middle of a river at night with a unstable fotting and a good flow, sea trout are best fished for at night on s sparsely tyed black fly.

might give the double hander a crack, you can control a 15lb plus salmon like a dog on a leash by changing the angle on it, where as a salmon of the same size would have you in the backing on a single hand rod, sounds like a good excuse for a fishing trip to me...

if i remember right there is just under 300mtrs of backing
    daniel

Hi Atlantic,

As soon as I saw the title of your post I thought of Ireland and spey casting, I'm from Dublin living in Sydney

I fished a 12ft double hander a couple of times on the Slaney but am by no means an expert however as others have said their application in Oz is probably limited..Fom a boat thge line amount and length of rod could be aproblem. Possibly casting for smabos or more tropical species further north from the beach could be the go??

gogecko

Theres a guy selling 14ft double handers on the gold coast under the name Talon. Theres a link to him on aussiefly. He designs them and has them made up to his specs OS.

Hes happy to meet people and give them a demo, as hes usually out around Mermaid canals most arvos. I had a few goes with these rods, and I love em. They are easy to cast. A few guys are using them for broadwater/seaway, and even surf/offshore. I think this will grow as more people become aware of thier advantages.

Andrew

He goes by the name of Uncle Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by gogecko
    Theres a guy selling 14ft double handers on the gold coast under the name Talon. Theres a link to him on aussiefly. He designs them and has them made up to his specs OS.

I must remember that my perceptions are not everyones. Couldn't agree more however that the advantages of a spey rod are fantastic

Hey atlantic salmon i am in ireland at the moment over here for a year i a, down in cork have looked at joining a club for fly fishing are you a member of any and if so was it hard to get in ,i have contacted one club but they said i had to be living in the town even though it is just down the road.