Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Trip to Burumba

esselte

Fly Trip to Burumba

I am new to fly fishing and wish i started earlier. ( I've been missing all the fun )
    I would like to take a trip to Burumba dam to target some Saratoga. What month would be best for this and which flies work best on this species?

Thank you in advance

Jason

Re: Fly Trip to Burumba

G'day mate, I would like to say "Welcome!" to the dark side. Once you go fly, you never go back...

Barumba Dam, I have fished there a heaps of times about a year ago, but only been there twice since, last month being one of those. We caught a bunch of Bass and one Saratoga which was a huge bonus.

I use an 8wt rod due to the large flies and snags etc, but you can use smaller. Leader mono, we use around 12-15lb line due to their boney mouths, but still have been busted of on that size. I have seen them and have lost, some woppas over the magic metre mark with my largest being 99cm (I tried to stretch it out as much as I can)

I use surface poppers and small dahlbergs, sub surface like large muddler minnows etc, but mostly flies that swim around the 1 metre mark i.e. large streamers, clousers , pink things etc sorry mate I am trying to remember the name of the main fly we use, but for the life of me I can't. I make my own flies and mainly use brown and gold and purple and brown colours.

I find that when you do get a take that you need to strike the hook into their boney mouths and if in dought and they do jump heaps, then I find that if you lower your rod tip, this reduces or stops them from jumping. But then again, thats all the fun of catching them is the jumping.

If interested in going up there one day mate, send me a PM and I will take you up there for a fish.

Good luck and remember that the above information is what I do and other fishers may do different, so take this with a grain of salts as they say...

This is the 99cm Toga that I caught about two months ago on a brown and gold "Zonker or Zonka!" thats the name I was trying to remember...

esselte

Thank you for your help mate.

We have to have a trip. I was planning on getting up there sometime in october. Will let you know when i know.

Thanks

Nice fish wooleybugger, when you where up there did you notice all the boney bream?

Nick_Currey

JayJ,

WoolyB has nailed it.

My experience up there is use dahlbergs and floating lines with sink tips. Work the weed bed edges and sunken timber. Other flies that work are big deceivers with flash. To keep the toga out of the weeds fish a straight 8-10kg line from flyline - no need for a heavy leader. I use a 9wt and wouldn't go below this especially if after Toga in the weeds. Can roll the bass with a 7wt.

As with any new place, be prepared to put in the hours.

Good luck

Nick

Yep I use a eight weight, with flies like Madam x, dahlbergs, muddlers, and even big yeti looking flies,Fished there more than anywere else I guess due to being so close. Look for new snags when you put three casts in to it put a fourth thats the one you will probably hook up on, Edges of the weed beds they sometimes sit right underneath them ready for ambush. The later part of the year toward November December they pair up and are sometimes harder to tease but the key is persistance, You my even pull the meter one, they are in there My uncle rowie got one 1.1 meter 16lb my best is 80 but will keep going back cause you never know! I think Paul does guiding there from hervey bay fishing and eco tours give him a ring or visit his web site he will be happy to give out any info. As I said there are millons of boney bream in there now so i don't know what that will do to the toga either make them easier or harder to coax

Well Mate good luck hope you nail one let us know TT

hi all,i dabble a little with fly but havent been totally hooked yet,i have cought a wide variety of fish on fly tho.i was in darwin a couple of weeks back and was fortunate enough to catch a heap of togs at coroberee..what a magic fish....i have lived on the sunshine coast for 15 years and have only fished borumba about three times without a lot of success,but after my n.t. experience on the togs im hooked ...ive read the above posts with interest and gathered some handy info,one question i would like to ask tho if i may.....whats the best months to fish up there for the togs?.......maybe we will catch up there one day,cheers and thanks from casta....

Fish have to eat all year round and have caught one or two in winter, however the warmer the better I say. Some of the best days have been in the middle of the day on a scorcher of a day. I can't comment too much on if they pair up in Dec and go off the chew alittle, because I cannot for the life of me remember what months I have been up there, the only months I can remember is xmas day, my birthday opening seasons for fish and the day I caught a Barra over the 1m and 25kg mark, appart from that I am blank.

Definately should organise a fish out with a few of the Ausfish blokes when it warms up alittle.

cant blame ya for remembering those days,wooly...obviously not married tho,you forgot the other halfs birthday and anniversaries etc .......good idea about a fish together,half the fun in fishing is spending time with mates or family and meeting new friends. im in if it happens,pretty flexible on weekends,cheers,casta.

esselte

A fish together sounds great. Im planning on getting there either the 14th or 21st of october but will know for sure tomorrow when i get my work roster

October is a good time to go, As the water warms up they move a bit more you can catch em all year round but the warmer months are good, as to pairing up I am 80% sure its around November they pair up spawn and then the girl takes off leaving the male to raise the young with his mouth being the nest. as i said 80% sure.

A get together sounds good, but have to run past the ball and chain

Hi fishos I've just started targeting bass,toga etc on fly. Trout fished in tassie for thirty + years. going to Borumba 23rd to 30th sep staying at deer park. very keen for october trip, love to join if an invitation is there.

esselte

Ive got the ball on chain onside and heading up on the 21st october. Not sure on time but all interested are invited and suggestions on time to meet would be great. Im easy on time so what best suits most will be it.

Now i think its time to start preparing some flies

Hi JJ and others
    21st oct is my only free weekend so it suits me. Hope other fisho's can make it as well
    Coola