Thread: NZ Trout fishing

Craigus

NZ Trout fishing

Greetings all,

I am lucky enough to get to go over to New Zealand march next year, and of course will want to do some fly fishing.

Can anyone inform me on what weight rod I would need. I currently have a stealth 3/4 weight, will this do?
    Also any good fishing areas, flies and any information in gereral about fly fishing in NZ. BY the way I am only going to the north island.

Cheers
    Craig

Re: NZ Trout fishing

Craig

Check in the old fly chats, somebody answered that question a few months back. Also, there are not that many Kiwis on this site, so I dont expect too many answers.

Any person traveling with a Stealth rod must be a Seeth Efrican? (No being nasty here, I own a couple of Stealths myself

Also, check the RSA fly fishing magazines, there was an article in last months Ultimate Flyfisher where a guy reported on his views fishing in Middle Earth.

Have a great time, and dont forget the pictures.

Wessel

Craigus

Thanks Wessel,

Yeah I am from Seeth Efrica.

I was thought that there would a few ausfishos that have done the trip before and looking for info from them. I have not gone fly fishing in about four years , so I cant wait for the trip!

Sure it will be a great time and I will definately get some pictures. I am dying to get the stealth back on the water.

Cheers
    Craig

Craig,

You lucky b@stard!!!!

I have been over there on numerous occassions over the years, but not since early 2005, I am now addicted to the Barra.

We used to use 4/5 wt rods due to the large fish encounted and 10wt for the salmon run. If I were you, I would do as much research as humanly possible to maxumise your trip as it is a trip of a lifetime. I suggest to google search as I have forgotten all weblinks I used to go to. Try www.fishnet.com.au aswell and go to Pro Anglers reports.

I remember the last trip, where I broke the magic 10lb mark for a Brown. It was caught in a small stream in the mountains where it took us 1.5hrs to access as it was VERY rugid terrain o rit could of been that we got lost and walked around in circles (ha ha) The water was crystal clear and I caught it in very shallow water and caught on a very small nymph that I tied myself. We lost bigger ones, that just demolished our lines. We also caught Sea Trout up to 16lb and Salmon to 21lb.

I wrote this to get you phsyced up for the trip, where are you going? If you can afford it, I strongly recommend a guide. Here's a photo of a small one my mate caught.

G'day Aussie mate,

Dare I say it...I'm a Kiwi (k one w one) Fished the rivers around Lake Taupo since I was about 5...now 63. If you fish this area, Taupo, all the rivers including the mighty Tongariro at Turangi can be fished with a 9ft rod and number 7/8 weight line.

Nymph fishing is the most productive but the Tangariro also fishes a wet fly very well. If fishing the Tongariro, cast just a bit upstream beyond the calmer edges in to fast flowing water and let your fly swing and straighten in the slower water and retrieve slowly. Fish here will take in a foot of water so don't be afraid to fish any water you can access. Look for the backwash behind large bolders where fish may lay up.

Don't want to write a book on this but you will get good general knowledge from the internet. See ( http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...+fishing&meta=) as a starter. If you want a guide for Taupo PM me as I have an excellent contact and may be able to help you.

cheers

Brent

Craigus

Thanks very much so far fellas that s great information.

woolybgugger, you sure have got me phsyced up for the trip from your picture and stories

Bonka, thats mate. I may PM closer to the time when all details of the trip are confirmed

The only problem is that My dad and myself have to take the grandparents around sightseeing, but I have been but in charge so I will hake sure when we are in the Taupo/Tongariro area we have be somewhere close to fishing locations [smiley=evil.gif]

We will probably be based near lake Taupo if I get my way and I will let my dad take the grandparents sightseeing while I fish

Craig

Craig - best weight rod would be a #6 as it can get breezy and you also may want to throw some heavier flies too into that wind.

Basing yourself around Taupo/Rotorua is a good bet but the Hawkes Bay area - east coast - is a great fishery too.

Clark_Reid

I concur with Sprat. In march, if you have a choice of areas Hawke's bay will probably fish better than Taupo but that can dependant on how much rainfall they have over summer as well.

The east cape is always a good bet as is most of the country. Nearer the time PM me and I'll give you the up to date on what is the best at that time.

Clark Reid

Craigus

Thanks fellas,

I will post again once we have decided on where we are going to stay. I will also do a bit of looking into the Hawkes Bay area.

Craig