Thread: Tube Flies

Tube Flies

hi all, me again with stupid strings that just keep on going on, just wondering how many fly tiers are still tying on stainless steel hooks and how many have considered tying on tubes.

With tubes there are 3 main types Slipstream, Bottle and the Guideline system, to tie with a Slipstream and Bottles you need a attachment that costs about the 6pound stirling mark and fits into any vice, the slipsteam tubes lend themselves to decievers and the like very well while the bottles are just perfect for hi tying baitfish profiles, they come in three weights plastic, alumminum and copper.

the Guideline System is what i was using on thursday to great effect in pummicestone passage, with this you need a different attachment in the form of a tappered needle that costs around the 8 pound stirling mark, you then need a few weighted cones that come in different colours along with a type of heat shrink tubing, ive been tying on these for only a short time and saw a marked increase in atlantic salmon catches when in ireland and had a ball with it in the passage, the idea come from two sacndinavians by the names of mikael frodin and hakan norling who sold thier idea (called pimping thier a#*e in oz) to guideline.

the best thing about the tube idea is that it allows you to use a carbon hook that rusts in no time if the fish is lost and if the hook is turned upside down (hook point up) you can drag it along the botton or through some weed, ive been using brabless carp hooks i picked up ages ago, you could tow a car with one of these beauties and set deep, i used to get my tying gear from a company called glasgow angling centre thier web site is at www.fishingmegastore.com sorry about the length, this is what happens when my fly tying gear is still in transit, four weeks to go until it comes, just hope the customs boys play fair, fingers crossed...

Re: Tube Flies

The ideal tube system for SWF, since the flies are fairly large, is the Cam Sigler tube fly system and works like a dream. It enables flies to be set up as tandems, singles and there is a place to lock the hook into place so it isn't swinging around. They have a web site, just google Cam Sigler.
    MaxG

This is just a sample of the things you can do, of course the size is large but you can tie all sorts and sizes on the system. Its very versatile. MaxG

Hey mate how are you going .Hows the weather back in the good country only have seven weeks left then its back home for me aswell, its good to see you straight into the fishing. I ment to tell you to that I finally got onto some sea trout took me long enough and I also hooked a salmon but being to excited I dropped it. When I get back we will have to go and have a fish I am keen as to do some real fishing again . I had a bloke spot those flies you gave that you tied and he wanted to buy them off me ,I told him I would get in contact with you but you must of already gone .

G'day lock, its time to get the flock out of there when the season ends, ive been getting updates from the two guides i was tying for, they said the last 3 weeks of the season finnished with a flurry with good floods, all heavy spinning gear and 20g to 30g flying C's though,

if you had gotten onto me earlier the bloke could have had as many as he could afford, ended up bringing back 600+ salmon flies, good conversation piece in the timber Wheatly fly case though.

ive got 2 out the 3 spey rods up and running, having a ball with it so far, got a decent tailor of the beach at bribie yesterday as a bycatch, was trying for one of the longtail that are belting the hardyheads on the beach, 500yds of 50lb backing and a SA mastery sreies Satwater Quad Tip on the 10/11 weight 15' Loomis from the shore with a 12kg longtail attached to the end, as far as fun goes you cant beat that can you... look us up when your back mate...