Thread: Tying or Buying

Tying or Buying

Had to buy a few few flies for the first time in years on monday, im just curious as to what percentage of fly fishers are extending thier hobby into the other hobby of sitting in a corner making a mess or like one friend of mine does neither and never goes with any,

and if you want to add where you buy your tying supplies from you might be doing me a favour as well, cheers...

Re: Tying or Buying

Hey salmon I don't know what area you are in but if your near or on the sunshine coast try Gavin Platz at Tie N Fly outfitters at Buddina at he end of point cartwright Drive he has heaps of materials and is always willing to give advice and free patterns

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Great fun to tye your own flies.
    But be warned like fishing it can become addictive.
    I would still recommend it to anyone.
    Great winter entertainment and sure beats the bloody T.V.
    I FISH THEREFORE I AM

I agree, very addictive, but can be very frustrating aswell. However very rewarding when you catch a fish on a home made fly.

I remember when I first started out in NSW and we did alot of trout fishing and I tied alot of brown nymphs with a bead head, but put alittle of my own touch by simply putting orange thread above the bead and resulted in catching 5 trout to everyone elses 1 fish caught. I gave them a few and they started to catch them.

I now tie big flies for Bass and Toga's so not as fiddly and can tie a bunch to last a year in a few hours.

Better than paying almost $10 per fly, what a rip off!!!! I thought that fuel was expensive...

I didn't like your poll - it made me realise how little I actually go fishing - gotta get out more.

Cheers

Mike

fishing and sitting infront of the nerd box is and catching up with mates is all im doing until my shipping boxes clear through customs,

was on the turps last night (watching the broncos dismantle the bulldoggers) with a mate, i went over to north west island of rockhampton with him and a few other mates in 2000 when all the baby turtles were hacthing, he reminded me of the "turtle fly" i made after watching the small ones getting hammered on the way out to deeper water, the ingredients needed for the turtle fly are a long shank hook, sharp knife and an old thong (flip flop for non aussies). and start carving have the white underneath black on top, i outfished the bait fishermen that day getting big fish in shallow water, moral of the story you dont need a vice to tye a good fly...

I voted buy as there is no way i have enough skill to match the excellent efforts of some of the master craftsmen fly tyers that are out there. I admire there works and attention to detail, in the end we both win, I from being able to purchase such a beautifull thing and the tyer wins from the $$$ and good rep that he gains.

Cheers
    Bandit

Tying, I enjoy the challange of trying to get the fly perfect.

Spot on Tony tying for sure.

hi guys, i've just started out so i buy, but my old man ties, he has been tying for about four years now and some of them look pretty scary especially from the early days. he must have tied at least 250 flies but never used one, so it is as addictive as fishing.

P.s. now i know i said i buy, and the question is why don't i used one of his?
    No confidence! Maybe one day soon i'll get enough heart to grab one and have a go and maybe it will give me the surprise of a lifetime.

Timbo
    HEAD DOWN BUM UP!

Gavin`s the man to see alright he`s a wealth of information

Stack

jeff_f

being an absolute beginer i'm buying whatever i find cheap round the place. probably never use half of them... funny little bits of fluff. oneday i'll find someone to show me how it all goes together

ryan_markwell

tying them yourself is the go.i have tied some shockers that have still caught fish and it,s great catching a fish on something you made yourself.get someone to show you a few pointers and go for it.gav at tie and fly outfitters is always good to have a yarn to.