Thread: Practice on Mullet

Practice on Mullet

Hey Ausfishers, I have finally decided to let anyone who is interested know about my Fly practice area basically in the middle of Brisbane. I have fished there now for over 5 years and have never seen another Fly fisho. Would be a great spot for beginners to sharpen their skills on mullet, catfish, carp and bream. Just pm me for more details.

Re: Practice on Mullet

A few more mullet. I can get at least 5 each visit and they fight hard and dirty.

mullet have 2 be one of my favorite fish to nail on fly . don't thay go so hard , better than any bream (no offence any bream fishos) it's just thay do fight hard and dirty . good stuff fishphile those mullet would have put a big bend in your rod are you using bread flys and a loaf of bread for berley to get them up thats how i got them back in darwin but i was targetting milk fish and getting the mullet as a bycatch (big diamond scale mullet and big sea mullet) all on long 9lb leaders and spun deer hair bread flys just like a untrimed dallburge . mullet are so much fun
    figjam :wink:

I agree - highly underrated. What flies you using fishphile?

Martin.

Hello fishphile,

I would like to find your fishing spot to pratice on those mullet but I have not sent enough replys yet maybe you could send a reply to me

Thanks Mark

dej

any chance of posting some pics of fly's used, heard that bread fly's are the go.

I have tied all sorts of flies for mullet in the past and have found that the best fly is a piece of cotton wool on a green, square mustad hook. I am pretty sure they are made for Blackfish but am not sure. I know there is no tying involved but I use the best fly for the occasion. Some of the best sport I have had is targeting lungfish below North Pine dam on a simple pink Crazy Charlie (they love pink) I have caught metre long lungies that fought and jumped better than any Bass or Barra I have ever caught on fly.

Quote Originally Posted by fishphile
    Some of the best sport I have had is targeting lungfish below North Pine dam on a simple pink Crazy Charlie (they love pink) I have caught metre long lungies that fought and jumped better than any Bass or Barra I have ever caught on fly.
    you might want to check the DPI&F website to double check thats legal

Good to see you are being vigilant on the rules and well being of these prehistoric creatures. To say I target them might have been a bit strong, I am always after bass but on certain occasions havent been able to get a fly passed the lungfish and on a 5 weight they can really turn it on.
    I would never think of hurting one of these wacky fish and have in fact helped save hundreds when they have fallen through the dam wall when it used to rain.

Cheers Dave.

Sorry Dave Didn't mean to sound so harsh..

I agree that they are a great fighting Fish,
    About 3 years ago my girlfriend hooked one on 4lb fireline,
    It was just a explosion of water and it took off like a freight train,
    Scared the daylights out of her.

You'd think somebody would see the best way to conserve a fish like that.would be to class it as a sportfish,up there with Bass and Barra.
    Then they'd be stocked in every major dam in SEQ.
    Just a thought.

the old Mullet would pull ANY trout backwards, they are a good 'learner" I find the best fly and I am not too sure if it is really a true fly, is just a small bit of polystyrene foam on a small hook (green hooks I use but not too sure it makes a difference) so is that a fly??