Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly FIshing in QLD

Re: Fly FIshing in QLD

thanks chris always wanted to know how to fish the fly
    i'v been told the humble flattie is proble the best beginer fish to chase and always wanted to do it but never knew how
    we have hardly anyone that fly fishes here it is all soft plastics at the moment

I used to be about an 80% fluff chucker. Now its more like 1 or 2% of my fishing is fly.
    I'm not into any of the mystique about fly, I just chase fish & whatever works best, quickest & easiest (within reason) I'll generally use.
    Another compelling reason for not the wand as much nowadays is the 16 or 17 previous years of playing cricket has taken its toll on the throwing arm in the form of tendonitis & arthritis. The elbow just plain aches after half an hour or so, even on light work.

I think fly had a boom time in Qld a few years ago, its just not the "fad" thing right now. It'll come back in at some time in the furute I'm sure of it, just need a few articles in mags & away it will go I recon.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Harry_In_Toowoomba

Fitzy, you're right.....just a few articles consistently. How long since anyone's read a nespaper or magazine report from up this way that mentions fly as a method that's been working. Yet, we all know that fly has been working as well as any other method. That'd see quite a few rods dusted off.

Cheers,
    "Harry"

G'Day All,
    I'm glad to know that Y'all use Fly rods in QLD, because when I'm over that way next year I will have at least one with me.
    Tight Lines
    Pat

Hi Guys,
    Been reading this post with much interest.Its growing more and more here on the sunshine coast all the time, with the help of fly comps etc. Our club recently accuired some new members from holding a raffle in our local shopping centre.They probally wouldn't have known about our club if we weren't there in the public eye.So i think if we don't promote ourself as in competitions, holding casting demo's or in magazine articles.How's fly fishing ever going to grow or be reconized in the community.
    just a thought
    Regards Steve

Harry_In_Toowoomba

Maybe we need a series of "FLY ONLY COMPETITIONS" run around the state to bring the long wand back into prominence in the fishing media.

Then again, i think back a few months ago when i had a fairly prominent fisho from a pro circuit say to me one day he doesn't fish for recreation anymore. Not unless there's money to be made.- Interesting attitude. And these are the people our kids are looking up to?

Cheers,
    "Harry"

Rob

Just reading my way through postings - it is raining outside.

IMHO

SWF is more popular today in Qld than at any time in the past. And at the same time so is FF for others - eg Bass, etc.

That assertion is based on the amount of gear that is available from the tackle shops.

If you think it is lacking in popularity today imagine what it was in the mid 70's!!!
    Regards
    Grahame

Great article guys.I am in toowoomba and would love to start fly fishing for bass but don't know if anyone does it.I have fished cressy for about 3 years now and have not seen anyone with fly!I also fish bass electrics and would like to be able to use fly if nothing else works.Could someone give me a head start please.

Matt