Thread: Good Tailor and Tuna Flies

Good Tailor and Tuna Flies

Hello Ausfishers
    I was wondering what are your favorite Flies and colours for Small Tailor and Tuna

Thanks T-roy

Re: Good Tailor and Tuna Flies

white/ clear surf candies or white and Tan , the size and co;our depends on the bait at the time ,profile and presentation is more important than colour hands down

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Yep, surf candies for both species. Some fish small clousers for the tuna as well but it's surf candies for my money..

Matt.

Can anyone suggest any specific colours???

Scott

Well tuna are pelagics are they see only blue and green, as do maxckerels, mahi Mahi and marlins, so colours as we see them don't exist. Its all about being in a blue green world, put a blue filter over your head/eyes and toddle around a bit and see what colours predominate and which disappear.
    The best flies for pelagics are fluorescent chartruse, because it ends up very bright green which works very well in a world where contrast and brightness is all there is.
    You can check this out by getrting a underwater pic of fish, get it into your Graphics program, seperate the layers and remove the red layer. then put it back together, thats what pelagic fish see.
    On tailor I don't know what they see, I suspect colours, but they do like silver lures and white flies. All silver, mylar, works very well as do white deceivers. MaxG.

Nick_Currey

Hi T-roy,

Tuna in bays - its all about matching what they are feeding on. If the local baitfish are small (1-2") translucent whitebait sized then a small whitesilver fly is probably the best mimic. Throwing a 6" deceiver, might get a taker but probably will be rejected, especially by Tuna (longtails or yellowfin). Mack tuna are less fussy - bigger probably will work with them. Usually find sparsly tied flies with plenty of flash work OK. Also avoid heavy leaders with finicky tuna - tie straight onto 6 or 8kg tippets.

Tailor - less fussy but again err on the side of what they are feeding on. My daughter caught a heap at Mud Is in Moreton Bay on 2" clousers in white/myler abouty a month ago drifting and working the fly through the bait schools.

Best way is to get out and try different flies, getting teh fly into teh stike zone is probably more importent, along with speed!

Hope this helps

Nick

1. Epoxy Candies - Sparkleflash blue on pearl white
    - Sparkleflash Olive on pearl white
    2. Polar Sparkleflash flies
    3. Garfish flies (Tailor)
    4. Flashy clousers
    5. flashy Deceivers (Tailor)
    6. Lefty's Deceivers Originals

All good, all work, just great fun. Going to test DK Dancers on deepwater trailing tailor and tuna schools....... probably end up picking up GTs and kingies though. Who cares! Awesome.

Enjoy the fishing

Maxg,

Just wanting to know where you got the information on the colour sighting of pelagics? From a report, a research paper, etc. ? Curious

i'd like to know as well. verry interesting stuff there MAXG
    figjam :wink: