Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saratoga fly rods

saratoga fly rods

can anyone tell me if it is worth getting one of these rods off ebay. the one im looking at is the 7/8wt 9ft model. please help as i have a real desire to nail a big bass or a nice mid sized barra at the barra park or mullet and bream in the estuarys around the sunnycoast. my mrs has a tight grip on my wallet so i can not lash out on a flashy combo, just need something that works and keeps on working and gets the job done (i know im a tight arse but the mrs is worse)
    figjam :wink:

Re: saratoga fly rods

Nuggstar, got anymore details on the rod, such as brand and model. Is it a fast taper, med or slow? Could help with the guys in the know giving you some more info. Have you been and see Mark and Gavin at Tie N Fly at Point Cartright? I bought my outfit from them. Only cost about $250 - $300 for rod and reel. Got me started. Its a 6/7 weight Innovator Distance and I use it for mainly Bass but also in the estuary here in Caloundra.
    Billyboy

that is the brand name (SARATOGA.) saratoga lightcast
    THAY ARE ON EBAY.com.au ALL THE TIME THAY SELL FOR ABOUT $15-$20 it does not say what taper the of the rod is just that its made 4 australian conditions im looking at the 5/6 weight thay got aswell (the 2 piece one not the 4 piece) any one know what action these rods have. not shore witch one to get the 5/6wt or the 7/8wt or both

Sorry, didn't realise. Come to think of it I have seen a brand on ebay called that. For $15 - $20 I'd say give it a go. Go for 7/8 weight if you want to use it for Bass. Bit easier to cast in a stronger wind. I'm looking at going the next weight up for that very reason. For that price I may get one myself for a try. May be going into Fly N Tie tomorrow, will ask them if they know anything about them.
    Billyboy

ha ha i was planing to go there and check it out today as well (tie and fly) i might catch ya there.
    bryan

Tie and fly would be your best bet Mate
    you can have a go at the rod your buying before you buy it youd hate to be using a broom stick and wondering why your casting is not as you would expect it to be , they really know their stuff in there being qld's only " Fly only dedicated " shop but for $20 bucks you could always use it to pole the flats in your boat

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Spoke to Gavin and Mark at Tie N Fly the other day. They have never heard of the brand. As for being made for Australian conditions, all rods are within reason. Look at the complete range of G-Loomis. How many rods do they have in their stable, and how many are "suitable for Australian conditions". All are built suitable, but only a handfull are useable in certain situations. You wouldn't use a 2 weight trout rod for Barra on the Mary river would you. For $20, give it a go. Got nothing to loose and everything to gain.
    Bill

only the local retail industry

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

1 - If you will be fishing only now and then and on the very odd occasion
    2 - The missus is reluctant to spend the money on a sport that appear to be prohibitively expensive
    3 - The gear is cheap as chips
    4 - You dont mind that the cheapest grade of material was used in building a rod in some distant country with no labour laws or fair trading agreements

Then by all means buy the rod.

Your original question was whether these rods are worth it. My answer would be no.
    After a couple of casts the cheap coating used on the rod guides will wear off and start to damage the flly line.
    The first decent fish you get on that rod, then the probabillity is high that the rod will break, or the damaged line will part. Say by-by to your first fish of a lifetime.
    With the cheap material used in the construction, the rod will cast like a pig,
    No need for me to go on, but the negatives outweigh the gain unfortunately.

I do not have a lot of free time available to me, but I am more than willing to save up for a combo set that costs a few dollars more and will guarentee me pleasure instead of frustration when I do get the opertunity to go fishing. (It has been 4 months now since I have last even seen water.......)

Wessel

your rite wessel i guess im just going to have to wait untill i can afford something worth bying

hi nuggster
    mate i used a cheapy for years with no probs , was a ron thompson , there lures are sold over here as surecatch (cheapies too) so maybe they do the rods over here?
    any ways caught plenty on it only changed when ifelt like getting something in four piece , you do get what you pay for though as with most gear , save your money as a good line will cost $60 to $90 , still i used cheap lines for a while ok , but theyll give you the shits coiled over the surface
    so did they teach you to double haul at the casting clinic?
    tightlines

yes gav did teach me to double haul but i spent most of the time getting my loops tighter and working out any bad habits i had before.

save mate i think you get what you pay for, I have seen them on ebay and they look like they are some sort of malysian bulk buy to me with a great fish for a logo.

i use a loomis its a great rod but exspensive but at the end of the day it is worth every cent

a fly rod for $20 cant be much of a rod i got a satun rod from ebay for $120 and it casts like my loomas 7-8 wt

have a mate who uses one of those rods and he has had no worries landing good bass ,on the weekend he landed a fish over 400mm ,only prob was on loading the boat and tying the cover on one rope was stuck in boat he pulled it out and it was caught on the rod and broke the end off,for $24 he will get another and not blink but if it was a loomis or other top notch he would be cutting his throut,you pay for what you get but in this case it payed off.