Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass & Barra. Do they mix?

Bass & Barra. Do they mix?

AS was discussed on another chatboard recently, the qustion of wether bass & barra will mix in public dams. Who cares! All stocked/predator fish eat each other no matter what species they are, the question should be, why not have a couple of barra lakes in SE Qld. If there is something to really worry over (fish eating each other) then we would have monoculture fisheries. To my knowlege there is only one example of this being done; at Atkinsons Lagoon where Saratoga are the only fish stocked. Surely it should be up to the various Fish Management Committees that were formed at the request of the Qld Govt to do exaclty that, manage the fishery.?! ??? Now the same govt seems reluctant to allow a naturally occuring species in that system (Yes Barra were once in the Brisbane River) to be stocked when they still allow the translocation of yellowbelly, silver perch, saratoga and Mary river Cod and do little or nothing about the now breeding, intorduced, pest populations of banded grunter, spangled perch, tilapia & lungfish. That's a hard bite to swallow. What's good for the goose..............
    I'm not advocating stocking bass & barra in the Murray/Darling catchment, nor do I think we should continue to stock Yellowbelly & silver perch east of the great divide (except for Fitroy strain Yellowbelly in that system)
    I noted that a "vote of No Confidence" in one fisheries manager over the banning of stocking saratoga out side its natural range a few years ago by a major group got some results, perhaps that same extreme measures need to be undertaken to get the message across that Barra are one highly sought species for some SE Qld impoundments.

That's my bit anyways

What do you recon?????

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Brett_Finger

Re: Bass & Barra. Do they mix?

Fitzy,
    were do we vote?
    i am a member of two stocking groups in QLD,does this give me a vote?
    is there a way to start a poll as to peoples feeling reguarding these stockings?
    or is there a e-mail addy that we can send a letter of our thoughts to?
    Hookin, Brett.

I recon just post your thoughts on the subject here for all to see. For or aganist it matters not.

So what does everyone else think, would you like to see a couple of barra lakes in SE Qld?
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

imported_admin

I for one think there should be Barra here in SEQ.

My wife and I recently went to Darwin just so we could go Barra fishing. We spent about $5000 in Airfares, fishing guides, car hire, motel, etc, etc. Sadly none of this went into the QLD economy.

Barra fishing is a big money earner for the Northern Territory tourism industry, why doesn't QLD tourism get behind the idea for down here.

I am sure there would be pleanty of people in SEQ that would love to be able go Bara fishing without having to spend a small fortune to do it. Let alone the thousands of International tourists that would love to catch a Barra while they are here in Sunny SEQ.

Trip photos at - http://www.ausfish.com.au/darwintrip/

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Brown
    I for one think there should be Barra here in SEQ.

My wife and I recently went to Darwin just so we could go Barra fishing. We spent about $5000 in Airfares, fishing guides, car hire, motel, etc, etc. Sadly none of this went into the QLD economy.

Barra fishing is a big money earner for the Northern Territory tourism industry, why doesn't QLD tourism get behind the idea for down here.

I am sure there would be pleanty of people in SEQ that would love to be able go Bara fishing without having to spend a small fortune to do it. Let alone the thousands of International tourists that would love to catch a Barra while they are here in Sunny SEQ.

Trip photos at - #http://www.ausfish.com.au/darwintrip/

Steve

Another fine example of folks spending good bucks to get barra is the recent charter trip we did into Shoalwater Bay (Central Qld). 6 Clients from Victoria were more than happy to fly in & stay on the 65 foot mother ship for 5 days, just to get a barra. We got them onto over 100 fish (mixed species)every day. Shoalwater is about as remote as you can get on the Qld coast. If there were easier places to access then there would be more of it happening. The Qld ecconomy would be the winner.

Brett_Finger

my thoughts

I personally feel that after seeing the monies spent by the tourist up here in cairns on fishing guides in this area alone is INSANE!!!
    imagine all the thousands of tourists that come to the gold coast each year, and the millions that is spent.

the monies to be made just from the japanise tourist alone would be astranomical!!

as the majority of clients for the guides are from japan up here in cairns, and during the season(and out) thay are nearly always booked by people wanting to catch a BARRA!!! Hookin, Brett

Bring it on! How do we make this happen soon? Can't happen soon enough! Fishing in South East Queensland needs all the help it can get. More fish = more fun! Barra = lots more fun! Fitzy, any ideas on how to get this happening for real and soon. Some of these dams could definitely handle more stocking, and why not Barra!!! Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina
    Bring it on! #How do we make this happen soon? #Can't happen soon enough! #Fishing in South East Queensland needs all the help it can get. #More fish = more fun! #Barra = lots more fun! #Fitzy, any ideas on how to get this happening for real and soon. #Some of these dams could definitely handle more stocking, and why not Barra!!! Yeah!
    Hi Katrina,
    Stay tuned, the Ausfish Crew are working on an on-line poll for things like this.
    Until then you could send a letter or e-mail to our various fishing representative groups eg FFSAQ ffsaq@fuzion.com.au or Sunfish sunfish@modemss.brisnet.org.au with your thoughts either way. Could also do the same with our fisheries policy makers KerbyB@prose.dpi.qld.gov.au & SEQWC jwatson@seqwco.com.au .
    Certainly can't hurt, the more noise the better.
    Cheers,

Fitzy..
    I'm gonna cop it now!

Fitzy,
    Barra please with two hands in the air-just one question. Can Barra cope with the colder weather we can get down here.The reason I ask this is I've been fishing at Glassy's Fishing World at Luscombe a few times and often see barra floating belly up-Glassy say's it's from the cold weather. I'm all for it but would they have to be stocked annually with a whole new lot and if so wouldn't the costs be ginourmous? Or simply could they cope? I don't know so I'm asking.
    Cheers Luke

Hi Luke,
    The temp can go down in shallow type dams as at Glassys. You also need to consider that those fish are getting caught & released, the mortality rate is going to be fairly high amoung fish caught by the inexperienced anglers that tend to seek out places like Glassys.
    Lowest temps recorded at the bottom of the outlet at Somerset is 20 degrees C. Plenty enough for barra.
    Really, comparing small farm type dams to the large impoundment/lakes is chalk & cheese really. Also a massive food source in the form of bony bream, snub nosed gar, tilapia, spangled perch, banded grunter, shrimp, crayfish & a multitude of gudgeons in these big lakes is often not on offer in small dams.
    Suppose we'll never know if we don't a serious trial is not done. ???

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Fitzy,
    Too true ,they get a caning in there and they are small confinements. Couldn't help myself - had to try fly and get a basic lesson plus the lure of the barra
    Cheers Luke

[move]Hi Luke.[/move]
    The Barra at Glassys are in shallow farm type dams that suffer from more of a temperature drop at night than the large, deep impoundments/lakes such as Somerset. It should also be remembered that the fish at Glassys, by its very nature, are often caught & will suffer from (often) inexperienced handling from those that seek out this type of fishing.
    There is also a limited food source in those small dams where as Somerset has bony bream, tilapia, banded grunter, snub nosed gar, spangled perch, shrimp, crayfish & a multitude of gudgeons species for fish to eat, chalk & cheese really.
    There is a few farm dams close to Wivenhoe that have had barra in them for several years now for nil loss, so I think your answer could lie in poor handling of fish at Glassys for any deaths.
    Minimum temps recorded at water outlet at the bottom of Somerset are 20 degrees Celcius (info from SEQWCorp), easily enough for barra to survive & survive well.
    Hope that helps,

Fitzy..

Brett_Finger

Luke,
    Mate be carefull with the search for Barra
    please be advised this is a highly pleasureable passtime but can cause sever stress and agrovation >
    Fitzy and i have had sessions on impoundments were we have been blown away time and time again by Barra over the magic 50lb mark!!!!!
    a pleasent but steessful way to spend the day
    on the subject of the previous post by Fitzy, it is extreamealy interisting to read about the water temps in the impoundment,as i have expericend with the southen stains of Barra that thay will activaly feed in 20deg water!!
    me thinks some Deeeep sinking flys would be INSANE FUN on Big Barra deep in the impoundments
    Hookin, Brett

Gday Fitzy and Brett,
    Learning something new always with fishing whis is a beaut thing. Can you tell me is it a wivestale about migratory birds taking eggs on there feet and depositing them in different catchments.If it's true wouldn't it be possible for these birds coming down from the North and heading inland to reach our SE QLD dams.
    Cheers Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_Finger
    Luke,
    Mate be carefull with the search for Barra
    please be advised this is a highly pleasureable passtime but can cause sever stress and agrovation >
    Fitzy and i have had sessions on impoundments were we have been blown away time and time again by Barra over the magic 50lb mark!!!!!
    a pleasent but steessful way to spend the day
    on the subject of the previous post by Fitzy, it is extreamealy interisting to read about the water temps in the impoundment,as i have expericend with the southen stains of Barra that thay will activaly feed in 20deg water!!
    me thinks some Deeeep sinking flys would be INSANE FUN on Big Barra deep in the impoundments
    Hookin, Brett
    Hi Brett,
    These southen strain barra I have in the tank here at home are now 35-40 cm long (not bad in a few months eh? ) & this afternoon they have eaten a dozen live gold fish & half a packet of frozen white bait, all this while the water temp is 13 degrees C. Now I gave to grin # when so called experts recon they can't even live at this temp & I've got them here actively feeding!
    Also good to note that the 32 cm bass in the tank with them is bashing the hell out of the 2 bigger barra that were in there long before the bass. What was all that about folks worrying about their bass getting eaten by barra,,, ppphhhhttttttt. Turn it up!!! All the fish we stock in lakes are predators, & by thier very nature they will eat other fish if given the chance (derrrrr ), why the concern about barra?? Just another excuse I recon. > Not a thing said about the Cod that actively feeding on schools of bass at Somerset ( shock!!!! Yes folks it happens #) 25 cm bass in the guts of a 6 kg MR Cod. It was caught in open water 40 feet off the bottom in the middle of a school of bass!
    Spose we'll just keep trying to get around this anti-barra attitude & the endless excuses. They might change thier tune if they actually went to Awoonga, Faust, Tinaroo or Monduran & got smoked by a few 50 pounders!!! They best take a pace-maker with em too! LOL #

Fitzy..

PS- Watch the nasty e-mails roll in now!