Thread: Jungle perch in SEQ. I need your help

Jungle perch in SEQ. I need your help

Hi Folks,
    I took the liberty of copying this post (below) from Dr Michael Hutchison from another chat board. I'm sure he won't mind. Please help Dr Hutchison to help "US" in any way possible. Fitzy..

Jungle perch in SEQ. I need your help

have you ever caught a jungle perch in SEQ?
    if so I would like to know. I am trying to find out the past range of jungle perch and if there are any remnant populations left south of Bundy (other than Fraser Island).

I need to collect brood-stock and genetic samples as preparation for a proposed stocking program. Initial stocking trials are planned for dams. A recovery program for rivers is also likely if funding can be found.

I can be contacted on 3817 9540. If I am out please leave your contact details with reception and I will get back to you. Don't confuse jungle perch with spangled perch. Jungle perch have two balck blotches on their tail fin. Spangleds don't. JPs also have quite large eyes and are more chunky than a spangled.
    Your information could help advance a stocking program.

Thanks

Michael Hutchison
    Senior Fisheries Biologist DPI, AFFS Fisheries and Aquaculture.

Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Re: Jungle perch in SEQ. I need your help

To help with identifying Jungle Perch from Spangled Perch I've put a couple of pics up. Hopefully this may help folks pick the difference.

Jungle Perch

Spangled Perch

Hutcho assures me of 100% confidentiality for any locations that anyone may provide him with. He won't even tell me!
    Please help him with any info you may have.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Dunno how anyone could confuse the two. Never caught one of them(Jungle). Sounds like a worthwhile investigation. Hope he gets funding.

The_Walrus

Saw a few Jungle Perch in aquariums.

Great looking fish, would love to get one for my tank !!

Luc

I seem to remember seeing a 'readers catch' type photo in Queensland Fishing Monthly that showed a JP claiming it was caught at Colleges Crossing, at Karalee near Ipswich, on a live shrimp. The fish in the photo appeared to be Kuhlia rupestris although I obviously cannot be sure if it was actually caught in the Brisbane River. Unfortunately I cannot recall the exact issue but I think that the photo appeared in the publication within the last eighteen months. Hope this may help in some way.
    Lofty

Hi Lofty,
    I've heard of a couple caught in the upper tidal reaches of the Brisbane River but none recently (last year or two). While I've never caught one in that river I'm sure there must still be the odd one about.
    The Mt Crosby weir (+ the old unused weir half a Km below it) is a big reason for their limited numbers I'd imagine. They get stuck below them & become shark food. I hope we see some results before it is too late for the JPs in SEQ.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

G'day Fitzy,
    I have also heard (again not caught) reports of JPs being caught in the upper reaches of the Mooloolah River (Diamond Valley?). These reports came from a high school biology teacher who is a keen fisho. I realise that this is only heresay however the habitat is there and apparently in this area much of it is difficult to access as it is privately owned. I guess any info counts in a situation like this.
    Hope it helps
    Lofty