Thread: what species are cought in somerset

what species are cought in somerset

just wondering if anyone can tell me what species of fish can be cought in somerset dam

Re: what species are cought in somerset

Quote Originally Posted by corza85
    just wondering if anyone can tell me what species of fish can be cought in somerset dam

Main species are bass, yellows and silvers. There are also some eel-tail catties and the odd Mary River Cod.

Some saratoga have been stocked and are there in low numbers, try not to cast to them if you see them, if you do accidentally catch one PLEASE LET IT GO! You can't eat them and they cost the stocking group up $50 each.

There are also Snub Nosed Gar. AS well as noxious fish such as Tilapia which must be destroyed lungfish also can be caught and must be returned to the water immediately unharmed

-Oz Bass
    -Yellowbelly
    -Silver Perch
    -Mary River Cod (rare; should be released)
    -Qld Lungfish (protected)
    -Saratoga (rare; should be released)
    -Spangled Perch (introduced fish; should be killed)
    -Tilapia (noxious; must be destroyed)
    -Banded Grunter (introduced pest; should be killed)
    -Bony Bream
    -Eel tailed catfish/jewfish
    -Blue Crayfish
    -Redclaw crayfish
    -Eels
    -shrimps
    -Snub Nosed Gar

For any pics & some info go to http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/species.htm

Hope that helps,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I was under the impression that Spangled perch were native to the Brisbane, and Stanley river catchment areas. ???

Quote Originally Posted by spook
    I was under the impression that Spangled perch were native to the Brisbane, and Stanley river catchment areas. ???
    Many people believe the same.Spanglies are native to the Murray/Darling catchment & a few gulf rivers. They were spread far & wide around in the early 1900s & successfully eastablished themselves.

Hope that helps,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au