Thread: Stocking new dam at home.

Stocking new dam at home.

Im about to start stocking a new dam at home.
    The dam is approx. 75mx60mx4 1/2m deep. It has been about 1/2 full for 12 months and will hopefully fill this year. What Im trying to find out is as much info as possible on preperation prior to adding fish. Things such as establishing food supply, types of weeds, lillys etc.All the dos and donts, cause fingerlings are not cheap to buy and I want to get it right the first time. Afew of the local dams have been stocked with barra and jack for a number of years and are showing good growth rates, so I should be able to do the same.
    Any and all info would be greatly appreciated fellas!
    Cheers Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila

Re: Stocking new dam at home.

Tony,
    Don't know if you have read the stuff on the link below already. A lot of it is for comercial aquaculture, but a lot of the info is probably relevant for a home dam as well eg. diseases etc. Better have a look at the regulations as well.
    Some of the news articles mention particular farms that might not be too far away from you, and talking to an aquaculture farmer might be the fastest way to get the right info. Either that or the Bribie Island centre seems like it has heaps of booklets or CD's for more info.
    Check out the info on protecting your stock from predation by birds. Would hate to hear all your expensive fingerlings ended up in a birds gullet within a week of release.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/

G'day Tony,
    Red Claw or some other crayfish may be a go for a mud bottom also. I'm unsure but ask Fitzy about setting it up and what species of plants etc to put around the dam, he knows his impoundments.

Chris #

Gorilla_in_Manila

NSW fisheries link. Looks like it might have some useful stuff. Got some info specifically on stocking farm dams.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/aqu/...freshwater.htm

I would firstly think that establishing viable weedbeds with a good native plant like Elodia is a good starting point. Elodia will grow to about 14 feet so the deeper water wont get choked by it. Most pet/aquarium stores have it.

I would then look for small micro-grazers like daphnia & then some Macrobracium shrimps. Once established put in forage food species eg local gudgeons; firetails, empires etc etc. Your local creeks should be a good source.

Then its should only be a matter of putting in whatever native predators are permitted within your catchment.

Some of the time you will find that a foodweb will establish itself without any help, but a kick along to speed things up will help.
    I'd be cautious of putting in any crayfish. Cherax destructor (blue crays) like to burrow into the bottom & can undermine dam walls. Redclaw have a shadow over thier heads in regards to destroying weedbeds once all other available food is consumed. And if you have crayfish, you will eventually get an eel or three that will find them if your dam ever flows over. Crayfish are their favourite food.

To top the whole show off some lilly pad always look good but can be a nuicance at times.
    I recon a melaleuca tree or two around the edge gives some good bank stability, provides some shade on the water & attracts insects/birds. Also gives you something to get your line tangled on.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

DRJ

Try this link as well

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/1261.html

Darren

Thanks for all the info fellas. I will check it all out. Im really looking forward to having my own barra and jack fishery in the back yard. Will keep you all posted on how it comes along. Ill give you all an invite in a couple of years if it goes well. There are a few dams in this area that have had jack and barra in them for about 5 years, and now have some very nice fish swimming around in them. A good dam saves a lot of lawn mowing!
    Cheers Tony