Thread: SIP - where does it go??

SIP - where does it go??

Read in F&B(I think) that the SIP money was being spent on a clubhouse?

Is the monies from the SIP to be spent purely for stocking or does it just get given to stocking groups for them to do as they please?

George

Re: SIP - where does it go??

75-80% of the permit money goes to the stocking groups, the rest the Government keeps for admin fees.

The money received by the groups is supposed to be spent on stocking finglerlings to the best of my knowledge. Clubs can apply to get permission to use a portion of it in other areas that are stocking related. Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association is hoping to use some of their SIP funds to help run our hatchery (purchasing roe, fish food, electricity etc). Running a hatchery is a way for us to get more fingerlings for your $, so its directly stocking related.

I can't imagine building a club house would be an acceptable usage. If its true it would be a very special exemption from the standard practice.

Hi George,
    Gotta back Lordy up. Knowing how tightly controlled the system is, I can see any funds being utilised for anything other than fingerling purchase. To the best of my knowlege, no groups have been able to use SIP monies apart from fingerlings to date.
    If (& that's a big if) the permit ever brings in more money than can be spent, they could be scope for either a lessening of permit fee or utilising the excess funds for research or on other things eg boat ramps, facilities etc

The monies raised & spent are monitored very closely by stocking groups.

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo
    Read in F&B(I think) that the SIP money was being spent on a clubhouse?
    Any idea which stocking group/area?

Never read F&B unless they send it to me.

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Tinaroo.

It was a letter from a reader who went to a meeting.

I'll post it up when I get home.

George

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo
    Tinaroo.

It was a letter from a reader who went to a meeting.

I'll post it up when I get home.

George
    Thanks George,
    The Qld Govt funded Recreational Fisheries Enhancement scheme is still running. It has $168k that is given to support various stocking projects each year. This is mainly for the non-SIP stocked waters and to help with running costs of community fish hatcheries.
    I know the Tinaroo group recently got a few grand from this.

Would still like to read the article in question & go from there.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

page 4 this months NQ Fish & Boat, by Keith Graham. it reads -
    "..I did learn a few revealing facts as to where the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme funds were being channelled.

snip

It would appear that out of the $36,000 or so in their permit kitty, that was allocated last year and still has not been utilised, $8,000 will be spent on stocking Tinaroo Dam with 300mm sized barra fingerlings between now and the end of the year and they are applying to the relevant body to spend $10,000 of these monies to purchase a club house and hatchery."

I can understand the hatchery, but clubhouse???

Who is the relevent body - ?DPI.
    It worries me that SIP monies can be spent like this. I doubt that the clubhouse will be open for all SIP holders.

George

OK George, I'm with you now. The key word there is "applied". Alot of people have "applied" to get their hands on SIP $$ but to the best of my knowlege nobody has. Even QFS have tried it on to use it for other purposes, all have been knocked back.
    Agree with the hatchery idea, breeding & growing fingerlings out gives a far better return than buying fingerlings from commercial hatcheries.

Club house? I cant speak for anyone other than myself, but I cant see that getting approved.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

DRJ

Hi all

First some background. SIP Funds are primarily to be spent on fish stocking (eg putting fingerlings in dams). The funds can be utilised for other purposes upon application to the SIP committee (consists of reps from gov't, stocking groups and other stakeholders). The maximum that can be taken for admin is 25% and remaining funds are split up on a formula based on dam size and angler preference. Currently the admin is running at the 25% mark however with the new set up of electronic SIP's and the removal of Aust Post this is expected to go down slightly in future years.

A group is extremeley unlikely to get approval for a club house.

They would however have some chance of getting a hatchery application through provided it was supported with a quality application showing the how, when's and why's.

The SIP committee met last week and with out knowing the full details approval was given to Tinaroo for a hatchery on loan basis from their SIP funding. I understand that their application showed that the majority of the funding for the hatchery was still being raised by the group itself.

Regards
    Darren

hey guys this should clear the air straight of the dpi page

Applications for the use of funds for activities other than for production of fingerlings will need to be submitted to the subcommittee in writing for assessment on a case-by-case basis. Applications will need to contain a detailed budget for the proposal.
    Subcommittee members agreed that applications for the use of funds for a hatchery should only be considered from stocking groups that have a demonstrated a history of producing fish. Although a grant may be given to a stocking group, it is still the responsibility of the QFS to ensure that the SIP money is used in an appropriate and responsible manner. For example, if a stocking group were permitted to use all of their allocation for production and/or grow out and production failed, this would result in no fish being stocked that year. This would not be considered to be in the best interests of the recreational fishing community.
    Last updated 16 December 2003

cheers cameron

Quote Originally Posted by DRJ

The maximum that can be taken for admin is 25% and remaining funds are split up on a formula based on dam size and angler preference.
    Darren, you wouldn't happen to know the formula at all? It would be interesting to know how much angler preference comes into it.

George

George,
    After admin costs (guaranteed at less than 25%), the remainder of the fund is divided at 50% angler preference & 50% for impoundment size in surface area.
    *Bigger impoundments are deemed to be no larger than 5000ha.

Cheers,

Fitzy..