Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    Fish for Somerset

    This week has seen alot of activity at Lake Somerset.
    Fish released this week:
    Bass- 73 000
    Mary River Cod - 4700

    A stack of bass went into Wivenhoe, havent got the figures as yet.

    Stacks more to go this season... Well don to the Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking assn

    fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

  2. #2
    bearclaw
    Guest

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    I heard just the other week that the state government is raising the 5% admin charges to 20% or the funds raised by the stocked impoundments scheme. Is this final or is it just what they want to do. Have they justified this raise. How will this affect the stocking groups. Sorry if this question has been posted in the past.

  3. #3

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw
    I heard just the other week that the state government is raising the 5% admin charges to 20% or the funds raised by the stocked impoundments scheme. Is this final or is it just what they want to do. Have they justified this raise. How will this affect the stocking groups. Sorry if this question has been posted in the past.
    G'Day Bearclaw,
    I'm thinking you're referring to the SIP permit.
    THe admin costs currently run at around 23 -25%. DPI&F run the scheme but cannot take more than 25% to administer the scheme, if it costs more than that DPI&F will absorb it.

    IMHO the worst thing that affects the SIP is the costant changing of the allocations of the fees.

    Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

  4. #4

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Fantastic effort Fitzy,

    its a credit to you and all the guys involved in the stocking groups.

    Glad to see some sizable cod numbers included although we could go a heap more if they were available and affordable.

    Are the cod stocked into the main lake basin? I've often though there could be some merit in focusing cod stocking into the upper Stanley and other tributaries if you want to get breeding populations going.

    Regards - Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

  5. #5

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    I think I caught 3 of those baby bass yesterday. About the same size as my lure and I don't know if they were trying to eat my lure or make love to it...

    Phil

  6. #6
    The_Walrus
    Guest

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Great effort by the stocking group.

    Those baby bass are agressive little blighters.

    Where I fish in the Pine River, I regularly catch them barely bigger then the lures I'm using.

    Luc

  7. #7

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Tait
    Fantastic effort Fitzy,
    #
    its a credit to you and all the guys involved in the stocking groups. #
    #
    Glad to see some sizable cod numbers included although we could go a heap more if they were available and affordable.
    #
    Are the cod stocked into the main lake basin? I've often though there could be some merit in focusing cod stocking into the upper Stanley and other tributaries if you want to get breeding populations going.
    #
    Regards - Jim
    Jim,
    That stocking group, as well as many many other groups do a great but mostly thankless job.

    They/we do try to release the MRCs up the upper reaches of the lakes (more suitable habitat).

    That group source as many MRCs they can get thier hands on each year, however numbers are woefully inadequate each & every year with only 1 (part time) breeder permitted to sell to stocking groups when other hatcheries have brood stock on hand. I've bashed my head against walls for yonks over this REDICULOUS situation time & time again.

    Cheers,

    fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

  8. #8
    scotty
    Guest

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    good to see that there are a few mary river cod going in but i see no yellas and silvers do they only stock evry now and a gain

  9. #9

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Quote Originally Posted by goin_west
    good to see that there are a few mary river cod #going in but i see no yellas and silvers do they only stock evry now and a gain
    yellas & silvers usulally come later in the summer than bass.


    gf
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

  10. #10
    scotty
    Guest

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    oh ok good work once again fitz do they still stock lake dyer and ackinson as they are low or not

    cheers

    scotty

  11. #11

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Ranger at Wivenhoe tells me they release a heap of MRC fingerlings into wivenhoe this weekend too

  12. #12

    Re: Fish for Somerset


    Great work guys!

    I am only new to the forum but last I heard you had stop stocking Bass at somerset. Glad to hear that you have resolved the issue of fishing comps with the authorities

    cheers

    Raymond

  13. #13

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Quote Originally Posted by RayB
    Great work guys! #

    Glad to hear that you have resolved the issue of fishing comps with the authorities

    cheers

    Raymond
    Hi Ray,
    The issue certainly hasnt been resolved. DPI&F are still fart arsing around. The stocking group never followed through on the bass ban @ somerset as a sign of good faith on th promise that DPI&F would fix the situation. They havent jack schidt to date so...............

    Cheers,

    gf
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

  14. #14
    fad
    Guest

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    GOOD WORK GUYS.FITZY WILL BARRA EVER BE STOCKED AT SOMERSET.ALSO COULD BE INTERESTED IN HELPING OUT WITH STOCKING PROGRAME HAVE BOAT & TIME SPARE SOME WEEKDAYS CHEERS ADAM .

  15. #15
    fad
    Guest

    Re: Fish for Somerset

    Re-tracting offer not worth a reply not worth my time & effort .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us