Thread: Red Claw Stocking for Private dam

Red Claw Stocking for Private dam

I'm wondering if anyone knows where some red claw can be purchased for stocking of a private dam. I'm on the Sunshine Coast, if anyone knows anyone local that would be a great help.

Cheers

MickS

Re: Red Claw Stocking for Private dam

If you want to take a drive down to North Pine Dam, you should be able to catch some using opera-house traps and almost anything edible as bait - fish, chicken, beef, partly cooked potato just to name a few. Doing a search in on "redclaw" should turn up some relevant posts.

I guess it depends on how big your dam is and how fast you want to stock it. It seems that redclaw breed and grow quickly. The population in NP dam was supposedly the result of an "accidental" release years ago. Now there must be millions of them.

It might pay to check if you can legally stock redclaw without a permit, seeing that they are well out of their natural range.

Mike

Re: Red Claw Stocking for Private dam

Its highly illegal to stock redclaw outside of their natural range (which is far to the north of the Sunny Coast).
    You can buy them from most pet stores as "feeder crays" for larger fish.

They will often go through a boom & bust cycle where their population will explode until they eat themselves out of all available food & then they drop off. Sometimes die out all together.

Like I said, stock them at your own peril.

Cheers,

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au