Thread: how to start from scratch

how to start from scratch

i look after a farm on the sunshine coast .we have 3 dams the largest one is about 300mts long and 50mts wide.they are about 15years old and have 20 %weed cover (no salvina) and about 1 mt deep.what are the first steps to do to see if i can stock it? i thought if it had eels would this be a problem for findlings? i am after someone who has ACTUALLY done something similar.thanks for any practical advice

CHEERS RICK

Re: how to start from scratch

Hey Rick, I have a dam on my property much smaller than yours and I looked into stocking the thing with natives but the cost was fairly prohibitive and the guy said that if you had eels or gambusia (mosquito fish) then the fingerlings probably wouldn't survive. Given the age of your dams I would be surprised if it doesn't have eels and gambusia already. Sorry I can't be of more help

thanks snakecatcher...going to set some eel traps and see what happens

cheers rick

Hi Rick , with the size and depth of the dams mentioned i would suggest getting a test done on the water quality, Oxygen % Temprature and salt amount. DPI do have these old testing kits around maybe in the back cupboard but still usefull. If not available from them try a local Aquaculure Farmer, whose knowledge would of great help when saving money in the long run.
    Hope this helps you, All the best from Peter {CJP Yabbies}

A 1m deep dam will not be suitable for stocking im afraid as most predatory birds will see your dam as an all u can eat buffet.
    sorry to burst your bubble.
    If its possible to drain 1 dam into another and u can there by get access to some earthmoving equipment and do a bit of depth work on your dams then all is not lost.

Kind Regards, Kuhlia R