Thread: Silver Perch

Silver Perch

Does anyone know if silver perch are endemic to the Tweed Valley area. Also are they endemic to area's surrounding Hinze dam? I have caught them in a dam which runs into Cudgera creek (Tweed Valley area) and just wondered if they might be able to spawn in this area.

Re: Silver Perch

dont ask me. i'm going to lowanna to perch and bass.

Silver perch are only endemic to the Murray Darling system

Silvers are stocked in a number of private dams in the Tweed valley and have got into the rivers through flooding. They are not native to the area. The Oxley river has a population for example.
    have you seen them in Cudgera Creek? , that would be a pity as they may compete with the small bass population in there. Robert (local)

No Rob I haven't actually seen them in the creek, however I have not fished the creek for bass ect.....yet

There was a dam I fished 5 years ago with a huge population of silver perch, most up around 2kg. After a flood the perch were very hard to catch in the dam which backs your theory. They were also all filled with roe indicating that they were horny to get out and spawn.

I have just moved home from Cairns so will be trying for some bass in the creek. If I see a silver in Cudgera creek I will let you know. Thx for the post.

tshort

Broosky, I've never fished the Murray darling system before but know they are in western Queensland systems which run down to lake eyre. Locals call them black bream.