Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tingalpa Reservoir

Tingalpa Reservoir

I live right next to Tingalpa reservoir aka Leslie Harrison Dam and have often pondered about it being used for fish stocking. At the moment it is a strong hold for bite sized spangeled perch and tilapia and as an unstocked dam could be used to test several species of previously unstocked ie mangrove jacks . It would also be a very convenient freshwater fishing location for many a fisherman (it would turn a 2 hour drive to a 2 minute bike ride for me to get to a favoured stocked dam). Anyway any thoughts or ideas would make interesting conversation.
    Jeremy

Re: Tingalpa Reservoir

You'll have to harrass Redland council on that one. The word I have is that they dont want any fish stocked in there cause then ppl will want to fish there & THATS what they dont want. Take away the reason for going to give people no encouragement to jump the fence or park alongside the roads etc.
    Get the clowncil onside & we can have a stocking group up & running in no time. Dont like your chances tho, but give it a shot by all means. If you get the nod give me a holler & I'll help set everything up for a new group.

BTW- I'm have it on good authority that there's bass & saratoga been released there. I've never fished it so I cant confirm or deny it.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

im a new member, this thing seems pretty cool. me and my dad went fishing here once and we caught 16 spangled perch. We put in bait trasps and discovered a very intereseting type of grunter. We found a catfish nest like the ones that eel tailed catfish make and some big tilapia were in there eatinmg the eggs. at night he surface was alive with tilapia chasiong small fish. i met a person at my local creek who said there were jungle perch in there, but i think he was mistaking. Im gonna og back and try to catch them, but odes anytbody no the fines if you are caught fishing there?

Quote Originally Posted by bobby777888
    im a new member, this thing seems pretty cool. me and my dad went fishing here once and we caught 16 spangled perch. We put in bait trasps and discovered a very intereseting type of grunter. We found a catfish nest like the ones that eel tailed catfish make and some big tilapia were in there eatinmg the eggs. at night he surface was alive with tilapia chasiong small fish. i met a person at my local creek who said there were jungle perch in there, but i think he was mistaking. Im gonna og back and try to catch them, but odes anytbody no the fines if you are caught fishing there?

JP? The need saltwater to breed so unless there is a fish ladder I'm not sure how they'd be in there in any numbers. Most would have gone over the wall to breed years ago with no way back.

They're tilapia mate. There's thousands of the buggars in there. If you catch any destroy them. Its an even bigger fine to return them to the water than it is to be caught down there. They are a big problem during the winter. when the water cools they begin to die off. They removed 5 tonnes of dead tilapia from the dam last winter. As for Jungle perch thats a load of c#@p. There used to be bass in the upper reaches back before they damed it. The wall has no fish ladder and again they need salt water to breed. So if they're are any bass left they are more than 30 years old or have been released illegally. I have heard rumors though that there are still bass below the wall in tingalpa creek but these are unconfirmed. The only fish i have actually seen with my own eyes caught in that dam is spangled perch, tilapia and fresh water eels, aswell as a variety of small baitfish.

Me and my dad went back the other day saw a eel tailed catfish nest, if you wanna check it out its on the right side of the bride that goes into burbank. we collected some mussles, then put em on our lines and we got a nice jew from the snag 50 m right of the nest.

bobby

I heard they where in there aswell, just never seen them. I've seen their nests when the dam has dropped, but the rain has brought the dam back up and its nearly full. How big are the spangled perch you catch. When i was 8 or 9 i used to go down with the old man and we'd catch then over 25 cm. But i haven't got one much more than 20cm for the last 2-3 years. I've never fished near the bridge before only in a small arm near some private property.

17 centimetres is the biggest spangeled perch weve got so far. we use soft plastics usually. never caught an eel there before, what bait were you using and where?

I use either use worms or little baitfish from the dam to catch tilapia and spangled perch. I haven't caught any eels but i was there when a guy i met down there did. I occassionally take a flie rod down aswell when the water is low enough to cast. i fish in the bush behind the capalaba police station.

why is fishing banned on the reservoir? i have often driven past and looked at it wondering about the fishing. would at least make a good test dam for new species - barra, jacks?what's the go?

sam

After all the rain we had a couple of months ago, I heard that the Council was releasing water over the spillway as the dam was chock a block.

Wonder how many tilapia were released by the Council for doing that?

TOL

SeaJay

Quote Originally Posted by bobby777888
    ...We put in bait trasps and discovered a very intereseting type of grunter.
    Do you have any more info on that grunter? Did you manage to ID it?

If there was enough interest in stocking this lake, I'd be prepared to do the yards & put a proposal together to present to Redlands Council to see how much access can be gained. There's no point stocking fish in there if nobody is allowed to go there to catch them....
    I'd also put togther a management plan for the lake & then hand it all over to a community group to run once all the paperwork etc is done.

Remember that DPI&F will only support a stocking program if theres a community group involved. No community group = no fish stocking program.

Do I see any hands getting raised to be on a stocking group?? [smiley=gossip.gif]

Post up.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I begged council on this issue a couple of years ago and the answer was a flat no. They definately did not want any kind of angler attention citing all the old arguments ie. water quality blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by landy1
    I begged council on this issue a couple of years ago and the answer was a flat no. They definately did not want any kind of angler attention citing all the old arguments ie. water quality blah blah.
    Hey Landy,
    Begging aint the way to appraoch it.
    the thing that needs to be sold to decision makers is that a well managed fish stocking program can actually improve water quality.
    Just asking will get nobody nowhere, gotta sell the concept and, if successful, anglers are the lucky winners.

Also alot of other things that may seem advantageous to councils etc but the water quality is a biggie.

Cheers,

GF