Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What species would you like to see more of

Re: What species would you like to see more of

Quote Originally Posted by elprez
    I know the areas about the southern limit for native Barra but are Bass native to the area?
    Hey Mate,
    Dont be fooled, Barra are/were native much further south than Fraser Island. They have been captured in Moreton Bay & that was well before artificial breeding & stocking of them occured.
    I'm not aware of any bass being in the Burrum River however. I've seen the caught in the Isis & Gregory Rivers which isnt that far south from the Burrum. The official northern range of bass is Noosa.

Fish dont recognise borders or listen to what DPI tell them to do.

Apparently River Blackfish havent been in the northern Murray/Darling Drainage (except for 1 small moutain creek) since the last ice age. But they just found some in the Beardy River recently. Go figure...

Experts aint always right...........................!!!!!

Fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I would like to see a dam with only jacks. And lots of em..

Pete.

tshort

Thanks Fitzy, stocking both is a good idea then. Are there any fishways that are proven to work yet where fish that require travel form fresh to salt or vice-versa to breed (or whatever it is they do).

Obi___Wan

Just more Barramundi and Bass until the recommended stocking levels are reached and then maintained forever!

John.

i would like to see a dam stocked near the gold coast with only barra mangrove jacks and saratoga

but this is more a dream then a answer to a question asked because there is not much luck in this happening any time soon

bronson

There have numerous report of large jacks ( 600mm) in the freshwater parts of Ross River in Townsville. If barra are being put into southern freshwater dams, it would be good to see jacks being stocked. Might result in a higher loss rate of lures though .