Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: barra fisheries at lenthalls dam

Re: barra fisheries at lenthalls dam

Bump

Hey Danny,

More BARRA! I reckon we should keep the current program as it is with an increase in the Barra stockings. Since the Barra are starting to get to some size it has been drawing alot more anglers out of the woods and into the dam. They're a great fish and fight like crazy. I believe it would also be good to stock some mangrove jack, theyd be a fun liitle extra to catch. Just my thoughts anyway.

Happy fishing
    Bazza_mundi

jack_attacks

Quote Originally Posted by bigdan123
    the widebay water has restrictions and they are; 4knts speed limit, a 6hp limit and no camping.
    what i do when i am on the water with my boat (which has a 50hp) is stay to the 4knts speed limit at all times.

Dan
    Dan
    Sorry mate - I'm a little confused. If there is a 6hp limit, can you have a larger outboard on the back but providing your speed doesn't exceen 4knots, you are ok?

Or, do you take a chance with a larger outboard...
    Matt

He runs the risk BUT will only attract attention if he exceeds the speed restriction.

You would really have to be crazy to fly around that Dam anyhow, big bits of timber just under the surface.

Cheers
    James

There is a lot of travelling fisherman going north fish for Barra and Bass, Monduran is a great fishery to compare with. Great facilities and also great fishing. If you want the tourists by all means Barra is the main attraction for southerners heading north. The bonus of Bass and Barra is a great attraction.
    In the threads there was a mention of the meat brigade.
    We were just north for 9 weeks and fished most of the impoundments and yes we did sight a few of them.
    There is no way they could use the amount of fillets that they kept on a daily/weekly basis. Eventually something will be done and it will effect all anglers. The greeder buggers always ruin it for everyone.
    By the way we only kept the last fish that we caught for the whole trip a smaller (legal) Barra.
    The risk that some of the fill the freezer mob take is that Fisheries or some one else will eventually catch up with them.
    The facilities supplied by the Stocking associations is fantastic. If you want to keep a fish why not make a donation back to Association for each fish that you take out of that dam. Yeah I know about the SIP but that doesn't pay for all the costs. The groups can only run so many raffles and the demand on the local dollars in rural communities is really tight.
    Good luck with your stocking and thanks for all the hard work.
    Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

hardb8

Hi Dan,
    # # # # # Some Toga and Jack would be a great addition to your dam,And maybe a few Cod?Imagine if you will a population of Jack at 10 to 12kgs lurking in your waters in the future.Sounds like there's already a steady Barra/Bass population.Variety or numbers?

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Regards hardb8 #

Dan

Ahving had the pleasure of fishing LEnthalls with my good mates on several osccassions I recently took my partner there .

Now she hasnt fished much just getting into it , but was awe struck when my mate hooked a barra and it flew out of teh water near the baot.

She didnt get any barra that day, but she did get her first ever fish and lost a few goodsize bass.

why anyone woud deny the fisherpeople of SE Qld a chance to catch a barra and a bass in teh same day is beyond me.

I am fully behind your stocking group continuing with the program that you have in place and look forward to beeing back on the dam soon.

My self and on eof my good mates has already pledged $50 each to the assoc. to go toward stravel or purchase of barra for thsi years stocking, perhaps a few more of our fishing brothers woudl liek to make a small donation toward sa great fishery.

Keep up teh great work you guys are doing up there, what a boom time for teh surrounding towns as well.

Pete

to dan and all the fish stocking association,
    the first ever trip to lenthals was mind blowing with my first impoundment barra at 71cm I can't for the life of me understand why there would even be a debate on should there be more barra put in at lenthals.
    I have caught numerous numbers of bass and barra on the same structure around the dam.

and the only regergetated fish that the barra have brought up while being landed is boney brim almost every time i have yet to see them spit out bass. so it's obvious that they are coigsisting alongside each other.

bearclaw

What has been the outcome of this in regards to fish stocking association, is there going to be more barra and bass added?

Myles

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw
    What has been the outcome of this in regards to fish stocking association, is there going to be more barra and bass added?

Myles
    yeah mate more barra and bass are going in

Dan

bearclaw

Thanks Dan,
    Great news and is there an amount decided on each and is this controled by the dept.
    Also is the stocking group getting enough funds from the permit scheme or is it losing out to the larger dams, I see this bit of paradise get a hammering in the years to come as the barra growth rate explodes.

Myles

Myles
    all is good we are not losing out
    we are a little worried about the new extension to the wall going up this year
    hopefully we wont have any fish kills due to vegetation rot in the new water covered ground
    only time will tell

Dan

Hi Dan, I live in the area and would very much like to help. what can I do please.

Hairymick
    check your pms mate

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Guys, I was out there yesterday fishing from my kayak. When I put in, I had the place pretty much to myself and when I got back, there were big dollar bass boats and camps everywhere.

It seems there was a Bass comp going on. A Basstastic? Does anybody know anything about it.?

I tried to talk to one of the blokes but he just ignored me, like I was the village idiot or something so stuff em, I came home.

My point is this, while I was on the water, there were quite of few of these lovely boats running round. None that I saw was doing less than 15 knots. one boat slowed down as he went past and gave me a wave (thanks mate if you are here) and then sped up again.

I have walked all over that land while the dam was being built. the four knot speed restriction is there for very good reason. there are just submerged logs and tree stumps everywhere and the blokes who speed on it literally take the lives of the people into their own hands.

Back to the thread, I would love to see a lot more bass & barra introduced there and will do anything I can do to help. fishing was pretty quiet there for me yesterday with only two bass to the boat but lots of follows up in the backwaters.