Thread: Somerset Dam Stocking

Somerset Dam Stocking

Just had a fish at Somerset dam first time in a couple of years. It was tough going but still managed a few, I put it down to slack angler and maybe that very cold snap last thursday. Of interest while specking a someone at the dam they indicated the dam has not been stocked for sometime which i figured was a little odd.

Fitzy or anyone comment on this one as i figured our SIPs monies would be going into the stocking of this dam and many others, albiet the current water situation may ulter placement on fingerlings.

Thanks
    Brian

Re: Somerset Dam Stocking

I supose the reality is with the lack of water in dams, and some having come off line altogether (empty), with large fish kills, I'd be a bit shy about putting more fingerlings into a dam they will probably be empty in 2 years.

Yeah I can accept that ..... so where are all the SIP's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ going to now ? northern waters or in the deep hole ? errrr or maybe held till greener pastures ???????????? I mean I tick Sommerset as my location .............. so if MY monies don't go there WHERE are they going

Thanks
    Brian

Firstly, SIP funds cannot get skimmed or used for anything outside the permitted uses; 99% is for purchasing of fish. It is extesively audited by all & sundry. Each stocking group that participates in the SIP must be incorporated & run as a business.

Brian, if you want info on Somerset, ask the stocking group (SWFSA). Who ever you were speaking to up there obviously arent very informed, maybe they should be speaking to SWFSA as well.

There was (off the top of my head) a couple of hundred thousand fish went into Somerset last season. This stocking season is just beginning, with Mary River Cod being the first in there so far, with bass, yellas, silvers & saratoga yet to come.
    These will all go in anytime from now until possibly as late as Easter.
    In fact tomorrow I am taking half a day off work to release 15000 Mary River cod in Wivenhoe as part of the MRC Recovery Program.

On top of this, the Don McPherson Memorial Fish Hatchery which SWFSA has built at Ipswich has produced its first babies. I can proudly say that silver perch & golden perch were both successfully spawned & are being reared to release size there as I type.

Yep, there's a heck of alot of fish going into Somerset & Wivenhoe each & EVERY year.
    Monies used are from SIP funds, grants, donations, sponsorships, raffles, art unions & dividends from our investments.
    I cant see Somerset / Wivenhoe running out of water, the SEQ water grid will take care of that before then.

If anyone is interested in becoming a member of this very worthy & dedicated group, they/we meet on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the new hall in the middle of Fernvale. It costs absolutely nothing to attend (or become a member) & have a say in your own fishing future, but you will certianly learn alot. There are also some very nice benefits to being a member. #
    Unfortunately one of these isnt junkets to NQ or NT barra fishing with SIP money.

All are welcome to attend. #

Regards,

Garry Fitzgerald
    Secretary
    SWFSA Inc
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/swfsa
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au