Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Barra in SE Qld

Re: Barra in SE Qld

Quote Originally Posted by McCod
    EVEN_RUDE
    Don't now what ya on about.Not after excuses as to why barra stocking failed at boondoomba. If barra stocking of any dam near Brisbane go's ahead. I will be out there targeting them as i live on Sunshine coast. It's easy to drop in someones Quotes and throw King hits over the net . At the start of this poll Randall asked for some comments.So pull ya head out of "AND IT'S NOT THE SAND".
    My "head in the sand" comment was refering to the anti-barra-at-all-cost cruisaders & politicians. If that hat fits you, then wear it, I dont really care.
    If the half hearted attempt at barra stocking years ago in SEQ was applied to many other things we'd be far worse off, image if NASA had of given up after thier first rocket failed.
    "Oh that's too hard, it cant be done so we wont try any more". Defeatist attitudes by these folks are definately non-productive.
    I read on another website about there being someone from north qld who has been blocking any trial in the south cause they want the tourist money to keep going north. If that's true its pathetic.
    All I'm saying is that to use Boondooma as an example that barra wont live south of Maryborough is laughable to the extreme. Wasn't making excuses, rather giving rational reasoning for the failure, based upon facts, that some simply aren't capable of.

I'd certianly love to go barra fishing at at least one dam south of Lenthalls Dam.

C Yas.

Did anyone else hear the news report of the 19kg barra caught at Jumpinpin last weekend? 2 others were also sighted.
    Bit early for the girls to be coming in to spawn I thought but anyway.

Also a fortnight ago, nighttime temps at Proserpine were as low as 3 degrees C. Some great barra were caught throughout that week.

And dumb old me was here believing that barra dont like the cold. The ones at Faust must have been caught while they were sitting around a fire up the bank some place hey?

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

DRJ

Hey Fitzy - big difference between air temp and water temp?

Regards
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by DRJ
    Hey Fitzy - big difference between air temp and water temp?

Regards
    Darren
    Exactly right Darren. Lowest water temp recorded at the base of Somerset wall is 20 deg C. Could be minus 5 (air temp) on a winter morning there. #

Will be up your way in 3 weeks hopefully. Will give you a holler if & when.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Several barra up to 20 KG landed at awoonga last weekend 13,14,15 August. Water temp 19-21 deg C in some places. "Looking good for spring".
    Regards McCod.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Just on the subject of jacks in dams. It will be interesting in the longer term if they grow well. Maybe an early blessing and later curse? I thing the luremakers will love them as they will keep them in business

Hey Fellas
    Great debate on each side. As Fitzy said here at Monduran barra and bass live side by side but don't forget we never had a good bass fishery to start with, some thing you guys have got and don't want to lose. Maybe you have enough fodder fish in the lake to support barra {as stated any fish at the top of the food chain still won't waste energy chasing active prey] .I think if your going to stock barra don't just throw in millions of them put in some and see now it goes.
    Cheers Foxie

Quote Originally Posted by davo
    Just on the subject of jacks in dams. It will be interesting in the longer term if they grow well. Maybe an early blessing and later curse? I thing the luremakers will love them as they will keep them in business
    Can never be a long tem problem. If it ever appears that jacks are becoming a prob, simply stop stocking them & they will disappear. Jacks cannot breed in lakes.

Cheers,

fitzy..

What about stocking barra in Cressbrook?

Sir_Atotus

Quote Originally Posted by woody74
    What about stocking barra in Cressbrook?
    Doubt theres enough food in cressy for barras + its a too small dam. Wivenhoe or samsonvale are the best spots for them i say. Its all upto the stocking people i guess if they want them or not.
    I vote yes for at least 1 barra lake in southern queerland.

I think there a lot of selfish fisher folk more interested in there own interests than what's in the the best interests of the fish, Barra practically ocupy the whole northern coastline of Australia almost 50% not including the relevent drainage systems. Yet the critically endangerd Eastern Clarence river\Mary river cod Maccullochella ikei\ peelii sub sp mariensis only have a small footprint on our wonderfull SE QLD and Northern NSW. if you need apex predators than look no further, if you want angling intrest then look no futher but if you want barra then move north. I afraid its a big no from me and yes I fish And yes I live in SE QLD. poor poor cod

First of all, I have reservations about stocking Barra in SEQ, and basically agree with Kahulia R. There are a couple of points are worth considering. First. they are basically a tropical species, that only really range as far south as the Mary River, which gets us into a bit of hot water, "pardon the pun", with the current translocation of species laws. Secondly, you will be stocking Barra into dams that are currently stocked with Bass. I'm not up with my reading lately but there was an article in a Mag about the sudden disappearance of Bass in a Dam that was at a later date stocked with Barra. Don't quote me on this but I think it may have been one of the dams in the Burnett region.
    Thirdly, which is linked to the first reason, are Hatcherys and stocking associations going to pour money into a species that has a marginal chance of survival in temperate climate dams, as opposed to Bass which thrive?
    Don't get me wrong I would love to see Barra on my back door step, who wouldn't! But I would also love to go up into the mountain streams near here and catch Trout too! But some times it just isn't possible.

bearclaw

I think it would be a great idea, where would the brood stock be sorced from.

I would love to see Barra stocked in Wivenhoe.

And failing that, then Jacks

Louis

randall do you mean stock in other dam other than lentrhalls because the stocking assoc just put 6000 odd in to lenthalls on
    wednesday.?