Thread: Help please

Help please

I have a small moses perch and a jack in my tank that I recently put in. I have a few questions if there is someone who can help I will greatly appreciate.

1. How long should I take to convert them to fresh. I have put them in a 2foot tank filled with salt river water. Also what amounts of fresh and how frequently should I put into the tank.

2. How do I get them to eat. They seem too shy.

3. How long can a small fish last without food?

4. Are moses perch able to convert to fresh?

Pete.

Re: #Help please

A couple of things mate...

You shouldn't be collecting small fish for a tank when they have a legal size on them (both MJ and Moses have legal sizes). I doubt you have a 35cm Jack and a 25cm moses in a 2 foot tank # >

You can buy small Jacks from most good aquarium shops and they are already fresh!!!!!!!

If you are wanting to convert something from salt to fresh start with something a little easier/cheaper like a scat (also known as john dory in QLD, silver with vertical black strips?) They convert nicely and don't have a legal limit When i did it I use to take one cup of salt out each day and replace it with a cup of fresh. did this for a month then did a quarter water change on the tank but added a table spoon of salt into the tank. I then did the cup in and out for the next month and another water change and table spoon of salt (this was for a 3 foot tank so a little less would be ok for you). After 3 months of this I stopped doing the cups and just did the normal water changes and added the table spoon of salt every second change.. even now with a fully fresh setup I add salt mainly to keep the bugs outa my cardinal tetras and loachs dosn't harm them in small doses

You will get some different options for the change over and some people on here would have done it way more times then I have but there is so many different ways to skin a cat so to say

Your biggest problem is the legalities of catching small Jacks and Moses pearch for your tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Brandon...

Re:  Help please

Mate you should do some research b4 accusing me of catching and keeping undersize fish. Tell me what the legal size of a mangrove jack and moses is in NSW. >

I'm not stupid enough to post up admitting/implying catching undersize fish. I let 99% of my jacks go and moses perch don't grow big enough to eat where I fish.

I understand where your are comin from and thanks for your concern and advice.

Pete.

Ps I really don't want to buy anything from a shop because I have only local fish/plant/etc so don't want any risk of contamination.

Re: #Help please

Sorry Pete, your 100% right. I didn't know the size limits in NSW now I do know I take back the coments in my previous post

I am shocked they don't have a limit on Jacks though I guess maybe its because there never use to be that many caught?? But then again the Aussie bass dosn't have a minimum size, its one fish over 35cms Sooo different to QLD rules..

Anyways good luck with the conversion and I hope the other bits of my post are useful.

cheers
    Brandon...

Just found this old post you may get some more info from

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB...5007;start=all

Cheers
    Brandon...

Thanks mate. The fish are doing well. Just changing 1/2 L morning and night. Also put in some live prawns and seems they might have eaten a few.

Pete.

Yep just put a few more prawns in, and the jacks belly went scarlet. He belted them and so did the moses. I love it already. Can't wait till they are in the big tank.

Pete.

Re: Help please

Mathias,
    Hope you've got a big tank. I've had a jack for two years in a 6 ft tank. He was just a fingerling when I got him and now there's hardly enough room for him.