Thread: Growth rates of Golden Perch?

Tim_01

Growth rates of Golden Perch?

Hey everyone

On new years eve last year my parents and I released 40 Golden Perch and 40 Aussie Bass (35-50mm in size) into my aunt's dam. The dam is about 60m long by 35m wide and goes down to 8 or 9 metres deep. After fishing the dam a few times I've finally caught one of the little buggers! It was a yellowbelly and about 30cm long! took a Poltergeist 50 crazy deep. I also got a hit on a scorpion 35, presumably a bass. 30cm in one year seems like a pretty fast growth rate, can anyone comment on wild or impoundment yellobelly growth rates in comparison? i'll be sure to attach some pics next time

cheers,

Tim.

Re: Growth rates of Golden Perch?

thats surprisingly quick mate,
    there must be a lot of food in the dam.

when looking into stocking a dam a little while back I learned that yellas on average grow 16cm per year, so thats exceptional,

some pics would be great,
    Cheers,

Ben

Tim_01

Re: Growth rates of Golden Perch?

yellahunter,

yes, there's plenty of small fish and water bugs in the dam, it was dug about 13 years ago and seems to have a very healthy ecosystem; good quality water, aquatic plants, etc. I'll be staying at the dam overnight on the 8th of Jan and I'm hoping to catch a few more fish then (I'll be taking the camera). #

cheers,
    Tim.