Thread: who can stock my dam

who can stock my dam

i need some help with my dam i want to put some fish in but i don't know where to get some or what to put in. the dam is in pomona on my olds property its 50-50 metres in diameter (it's tear shaped with a shallow bit at the pointy end) and 3 to 3.5 metres deep there are little fish swiming around the lillies and im not sure what thay are. can anybody point me in the right direction maybe come and check it out. l'd like to put barra or togas or bass or silvers or all of the above together if thats possiable any help please
    figjam :wink:

Re: who can stock my dam

phone sunfish at boreen point Nuggster

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

good luck

Hi Nuggster,

If you can catch some of the smaller fish and take a pic and post it on here either myself of someone else can try to id it / them for you.

On the stocking note there is or was a QDPI pamphlet avalable called stocking fish in farm dams or something like that but there is probibilly information on fish web in this regard. As there are rules and regulations as to what you are allowed to stock and where ie barramindi are only able to be stocked as far south as the mary river system in QLD, and and not west of the great divide or something like that. Bass on the other hand can only be stocked as far north as the kolan river if my memory serves me right.

The recomended stocking rate for farm dams is around 200 fish (bass silvers goldens etc.) per acre of surface area but for barra i would actually recomend half that and stock at around 100 per acre.

I hope this has been of some help? and if you have any more questions just give me a bell.

regards

Andrew