Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MY NEW DAM.

Re: MY NEW DAM.

very intresting looks awesome cant wait for the next update
    "True Blue"

It might just be leaking because of cracks from the drought? The ground would have been so dry but after this rain you might find its fixed itself and is now holding water. It looks bloody good. I wish i had a dam is it stocked at all?

Any new development on the dam?

Sorry for anyone interested, I haven't updated this thread for a while. Dam's doin' OK. Didn't get much rain after the floods back in late Sept, so it started to drop slowly again. Heaps better than before though, so it seems to be plugging itself. A few good falls over the past couple of weeks have pushed the level back up a bit. Pretty happy cos I haven't put any effort into trying to fix it, just left it to sort itself out. Been loading heaps of bait into it, on pretty much a daily basis. Shrimp and various little fish, got a healthy population of little critters thriving in there. There's a Yella and a bass swimming around in there too now. Lilly's have taken and are starting to pop up in little bunches around the edge. I'm slashing around the embankment and tidying up a bit around it tomorrow, so I'll try and get a few pics to post.

Cheers guys
    Tim

sounds like it will be a fisho's dream, I've been following the progress of the dam, and its good to see it seems to be plugging itself, meaning less work for you (every Aussie's dream!). What other species are you going to stock it with? I reckon a few jacks would be a good choice, hard fighting and aggresive, but maybe not a good idea once the dam gets fully established and other species start to encroach on their territory, it could turn into a real bloodbath!!

Any prospects of a few barra? or is it too cold for them in your area?

Hi Tim

Glad to hear the dam may be self sealing.

Any pics possible after the rain of the last few days?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Cheers for the interest guys, took a few piccies today. It's back to full capacity after last weeks rain, in fact it was topped up after about the 3rd day of wet weather. The lillies took a couple of days to reach back to the surface, but the the little patches are popping up now. It's not a real big bit of water Scott, so I'm not really planning to throw too many fish in it. It's pretty deep but, 5m+ thru the centre. Aiming to put 3 or 4 more bass in there, and maybe a couple toga when the lillies and cover are more established.

Have you thought of sinking a bore nearby to help keep the dam full through long periods of dry weather? Or isn't bore water any good for the fish?

Hi Tim

Thanks for the pics

Shame the contractor didn't use his level to keep his excavation below FSL.!
    !

Is always good to have some shallow cover of water over the adjacent upstream grass to keep the water clean and to give a bit more variety for life forms in the hole.

Anyhoo hope you get a bit more fast flowing silty water in the dam before things settle down and we get back to normal weather so the silt can further block up the holes that the water has been leaking out off.

Looking good given the lack of rain etc

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

OK OK I'm new around here but have spent the last half hour ready through this thread. As such I will require regular updates and piccies from you Tiges otherwise it will be half an hour lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Green View Post
    Ohh the anticipation, you must have a truck load of patience tiges. Every mans dream, to fish in his own backyard, good luck with the project.
    Sure is!!!!

Can tell the dogs love it!

I've got a dam that has Redfin in it.

I did have some photos of the dam but can't find them.

Any more updates?

I'd love to have a dam!

Don't think my pool is quite big enough tho
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Hi Tim read the progress of your dam with intrest and thought I would post a couple of pics of my dam and the critters that live in it. The biggest fish in the pics are under 5 years old and live only on the natural food source in the dam. The dam is 100mtr x 50mtr at the longest points. I hope the introduction of the bass goes well and it will be a real buzz when you get to catch your first one.

Andrew
    Last edited by cyclone; 04-02-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: edit photos

Wow cyclone, that would be a blast to have in your backyard!
    Thats some monster barra in there.
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG