Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MY NEW DAM.

Re: MY NEW DAM.

About time Tiges, i was wondering when you would get round to updating the thread. Keep it coming mate.

I am also building a dam right now, can someone explain what bentonite is?.

Does the dam need to be empty to put it in?.

Hey Tiges,
    Lookin good m8,All ya need now is a small 4x4 slab,4 posts and a bit of tin on top,A bar bee and fridge under that,And ya got the ULTIMATE cubby. Keep us posted.

Green with envy.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Hi mako 101

Used to do some of this for a living so heres some light reading to get you into the subject. You will get other links and aspect to do more reading on from this too I think.

Good luck
    Cheers
    Chimo

Used to work with David Cummings who compiled this. He's a good guy who knows what he's talking about
    http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenin...E?OpenDocument
    What could go wrong.......................

good stuff tiges its coming along nicely.cheers bdowdy

Hey bdowdy. Haven't updated for a while, mainly because there's been nothing good to report. It's still slowly draining unfortunately, to the state where it would've been dry within a month. 50mm of rain last night means the things about a third full again, at least the catchment is good. Gonna have to wait until it dries out and reseal it unfortunately. Oh well, back to square 1.

Cheers
    Tiges

Quote Originally Posted by mako101 View Post
    I am also building a dam right now, can someone explain what bentonite is?.

Does the dam need to be empty to put it in?.
    Mako101,

Its a last ditch effort to try and stop leakage after a dam has been constructed in an unsuitable site or soil..
    My only experience with it is with 2 dams which were constructed by water conservation in NSW on both my parents and my sisters property.In both cases I believe tonnes of the stuff was dumped into severely leaking newly constructed dams and there was no way that it had a noticeable effect on the water loss.
    In both cases the entire bills were refunded.
    In my parents case the dam wall was moved only 50m downhill and it held water without a problem.
    If bentonite is mentioned then you have big problems and the contractors are clutching at straws.

cheers Scott

Sounds like a nightmare... Whats the latest?

Since my last post when it was about one third full, it once again slowly dropped. But at a much slower rate which is at least a little encouraging. I've noted that it was almost 3 mths since that post, and that was the last time we had any real decent fall of rain. So I think it's slowly starting to plug itself. We've had a heap of rain here the last few days and this evening it was officially full to capacity . Gonna be interesting to see how it goes. The top 1/4 or so hasn't been immersed before, so it's probably gonna suck up a fair bit of the water. I'll try to keep ya's updated and maybe throw a pic or 2 up when I get the chance.

OK, OK, enough with the rain already!!!!! It just won't stop. As I mentioned the dam was full by nightfall y'day....and we've had around 150mm or more of rain since then . Here's a few pics.

Great news m8 .Just add Jack .
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

What a wonderful sight.
    Even your dog looks impressed

Scott

Tim the water hazzard is looking good mate, I reckon you will lose a few more balls in there now .especialy with that killer back spin
    Has it dropped at all yet ?

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

hey tiges the dam is looking good mate, did you see the bass i got out of my mates dam in the show us your bass section in freshy photos, thtas this years batch there looking good. cant wait to see some piccys of fish from yours. cheers bdowdy.

The dam looks good mate lets hope it stays full.