Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooloolabin Dam.

hardb8

Cooloolabin Dam.

Hi all,
    # # # ##1...Can anybody on board tell me when this lake was last stocked?
    # # # ##2...I'd also like to know.What species were put into this lake?
    # # # #
    # # # #I'd also appreciate any other info you'd like to share with regards to this lake.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Thanks for your time. # #

Re: Cooloolabin Dam.

will anybody please tell us somthing about #this dam, it look to fishy to me and its killing me knot knowing what is in there, can anyone help at all please please please. the only thing i know about the place is that it use to be a u.s. army saw mill in 1935 then thay made it in to a dam. i wonder if theres any rouins of the old mill under the dam that make wicked snag to bash
    figjam :wink:

Just went for a drive up there this afternoon for the first time. Yes looks very fishy. Have no idea if its ever been stocked officially. Looks great for Bass. Has anyone been on there with a kayak of or canoe? Going to try and con a mate who fishes Baroon a lot to go up there and have a looksee.
    Billyboy

Bill_Klein

suppose to be all species in there and they be big to
    15 or 20 years since it was stocked i think

hardb8

Hi Outdoor,
    Thanks for gettin back,Been doin some research...Recently seen some pics of truly MONSTER Yellas from this dam.And I mean MONSTERS!

Billyboy,
    Ya been in there yet?

From my knowlege it hasnt been stocked with anything for a looong time.
    I believe only yellowbelly ever got released as bass werent bred in those days.

Officially no boating / canoeing in there.

I've been there a few times & would love to get a fish stocking program up & going, but with limited access, facilities, parking etc I would think the local council would baulk at it. Never know tho...

I'm in the final stages of getting a program started on Kurwongbah, once this is done I've got it on my list to look into it.

Cheers,

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

A perty little pond

Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Tim_01

fitzy,

what have you got planned for stocking into Kurwongbah? the usual yellowbelly, bass, silvers, etc? Will public boating access be permitted in the future?

thanks,
    Tim.

hardb8

Barra and Jack! C'mon Fitzy...You know you wanna.

Cooloolabin yella caught over 15 yr ago. Caught some horse silvers. This dam needs a midnight toga and barra stocking to get round the council/dpi never never land.

hardb8

Hi Gidgit,
    I have had varying responces to my question from locals,Tackle staff,And here at Ausfish,Through my own research on the computer,I've found HEAPS of government stuff on this dam.They mention the migration of Bass at this location,And how the dam will effect it,But I coundn't find anything on a stocking.

I've heard a bit on Bass being in there,So I'm starting to think that only wild fish already present were trapped there before the walls construction,And these are the fish that are encountered?

Is my thinking logical?Or do you know of an official,Or midnight stocking?

I know Fitzy is very well schooled,And knowledgable on all dams.I'm also aware of your position,And being a local,Thought you may also be able to help?Anything else would be appreciated.

Any wild bass originally in the area above the wall would have theoretically have died of old age. I beleive that the original yandina social fishing club had a hand in stocking yella's in the era when bass propagating was in the experimental stage. The stocking was probably not endorsed by any officialdom. I have been told by a hatchery operator that used to be prominant in the area that whenever he had an excess of silvers or yella's after his yearly season he would dump them in cooloolabin which was about 15 minutes from where he lived. His theory was that he wouldn't have to go far to net broodstock each year.Because I have caught silvers and yella's I strongly beleive his story. The maroochy shire and the water selling officialdom want everyone to stay out of this dam. It would be a fantastic bass fishery because bass have a 90 percent return on fish stocked. Because I stock ewen/baroon with bass I see no need for another bass fishery. Saratoga are self propagating and we are in dire need of a decent barra fishery on the coast. Cooloolabin doesn't flood that often and would be a boon fishery for the coast. Tackle store gurus tend to hype themseves up and rarely contribute to the stocking of fisheries . They are the true fishers ..... guaranteed to tell you everyones secrets from the sanctity of the store.They never check their sources or locations . If they did they woudn't say anything.......Here's a photo of how I used to get to cooloolabin

This is the fun part.... impassable in wet weather.....

Here's the spindly sticks following one of the flooded bitumen roads ,,,, note my old american sears electric motor...... those were the days ,,,, I think an eggbeater would have been just as fast... thank god for minnkota bow mounts... Still the old motor might be worth something on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMY 666
    fitzy,

what have you got planned for stocking into Kurwongbah? the usual yellowbelly, bass, silvers, etc? Will public boating access be permitted in the future?

thanks,
    Tim.
    Tim,
    On the draft Management Plan for Kurwongbah I've put all permitted species. Bass, Silvers, Yellas, Mary Cod, 'toga & added mullet.

Once (IF) the plan & the permit to stock have been ratified by local council & DPI&F, the day to day management of the Kurwongbah fishery will be done by the Pine Rivers Fish Management Assn. It will that group (and its Kurwongbah Sub-Comittee) to decide if all species will be stocked. I would advise anyone who is interested, to go along & become a member of this group.
    http://prfma.tripod.com

A great bunch of fellas they are.

Boating.
    There is currently no boating permitted on Lake Kurwonbah except for Ski Club members with a licence.
    IMHO we should not even mention boating on there at this time as we need to get fish in there first. That hurdle out of the way we can look into the possibilities of a phased in scheme there. Local council are very weary of the idea so its a case of crawl before we can walk & then maybe run.

Cheers,

Fitzy..