Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building Workshop/Weekend  Round UP !

Re: Rod Building Workshop/Weekend #Round UP !

The pics are shockers dad!!!

Ryan, I think you've done really well mate.

I can't tell from the photo if you have done the epoxy. Sack the photographer.

We only need to see a pic of a good fish to go with it.

Great job Ryan.

Roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

gruntahunter

awwwwwww fair go Roz, as u can see it was raining, so i had to hurry....didnt want to get wet

I have now finished the underbinds and have placed the guides on and ' straightened ' them ( with a little help, thanks ). #Some filler has been smeared on and the epoxy is about to be brushed on Monday arvo/evening.

I will only be able to get 2 coats of epoxy on #but I will bring the rod down to the River to Mud ( 29th & 30th this month ). #When I get back here, I'll do the 3rd epoxy coat and the varnish.

I haven't decided on a butt wrap/ weave/ decal at this stage.

I will post a pic when I have the first coat of epoxy on.

Nice job Ryan, btw.

Cheers #Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Rod Building Workshop/Weekend #$%@^Round UP !

OK, so I got anxious. here's a couple.

Phill

Re: Rod Building Workshop/Weekend Round UP !

underbinds are in ' A ' thread.

black ends, Green metallic then a Silver metallic band in the centre. The overbind is doubled and in ' C ' thread.

Phill

Yes, for those that noticed, the date on the camera is wrong. I took the pics today ( 23rd ).

FearlessFly66

I see the hair dryer mate, #where's the mirror ##

Fly

stuart

Lucky_phill

That looks much better mate. I have to say you must have put a lot of thought in to choosing black over black. Lol. What you have now is far better in appearance; the binding looks very neat and tidy can’t wait to see the coating job. By the way, why do you need a heater in Agnus waters mate?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by gruntahunta
    awwwwwww fair go Roz, as u can see it was raining, so i had to hurry....didnt want to get wet
    That's like saying the dog ate my homework.

roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Fly.............. I cracked the mirror last time I looked in it, so have to keep it hidden.

Stu.... the bindings are " average ", but as has been assured to me, that the epoxy will hide these. Black on black was a challenge alright

The first coat was thin, so it looks like about 4 coats to finish the job. I used the Environtex epoxy, Stu, and was wondering if something like Erskins can go over the top of it ? Further, I have little bumps on the bindings, so can I rub them with 1200 wet & dry, before another coat ???

Also, I ran the second ( double ) overbind past the first layer onto the underbind. This in my mind ( and that's a scarey place ), made for a smoother transition from blank to bindings. I have seen some shop stuff that stands up like a Tsunami !!

OH, and it's a Kebab cooker, not a heater

CHeers Phill

stuart

Phill,

Try to stick with the same epoxy finish as you started with. There is a good chance it won’t react but why wast all that time binding if you’re not sure; personally I think it would be ok. Don’t rub the coating back with wet and dry, use a scalpel to cut any high spots off, just make sure you do it in one clean swipe. The way you have bound is just fine, make sure the transition is low as possible between the under and over bind that way you wont have a speed hump on each guide. It sound’s to me your going just fine even though your all toes and thumbs, lol. By the way, how cool having a kebab machine right next to the rod building lathe, why didn’t I think of that.

Stu

Re: Rod Building Workshop/Weekend #$%@^Round UP !

Nearly there, Butt wrap done just need a reversed decal to go over silver/blue area and epoxy and done.

Re: Rod Building Workshop/Weekend Round UP !

Stuart,
    Did I do the tip wrong?

stuart

You only need to bind up to the tip shoulder, not up and over like you have done. It wont hurt it thought.

Stu

Cheers