Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final round up of the Rod Building Weekend

Final round up of the Rod Building Weekend

Sorry about the wait, but I don't have a computer in my home away from home......yet.

I arrived back late Sunday night feeling a tad tired after an eleven hour drive, but still it's always worth the effort.

Firstly I have to extend a big THANK YOU [smiley=laola.gif] To Stu.

It was a big ask expecting him to forfit his weekend for our benefit, but it seemes he wouldn't have had it any other way.

I also need to thank Greg & Sue for opening up their home & hosting the weekend. Nothing was too much trouble for those two. Greg even cooked us a BBQ lunch each day for next to nothing and also shouted us all a few beers on the last day.

Lastly I want to thank all who turned up and made the weekend the big success it was.

Most of you have familys that also need your time, so it was a lot to expect.

And for the actual rod building lessons.

We started off at about 10ish on Saturday morning, setting up our bits 'n pieces, getting the introductions done and putting faces to the names.

The first day was devoted to building the butt sections of our blanks, and Stuart was able to give everyone individual attention and advice, which was a huge bonus.

Almost everyone there had never built a fishing rod before, so it was good to see the confidence building as all the pieces started going onto the rods. The day finished with the tips going on after Stu back boned the rods.

Sunday was the day most of the guys discovered they had five thumbs, as it was 'learning how to bind the guides day'!!!!!

It was also the day some of your colour choices changed very quickly.....ya had to be there!!!

It doesn't sound like much, but learning how to do something basic as an underbind can often take quite a bit of practice. But that's all it is...practice.

Stuart made it look effortless, but don't forget he had to start somewhere.

I am hoping we can run this Rod Build Weekend again at around the same time next year. How about it guys????

Thanks again to everyone

roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Re: Final round up of the Rod Building Weekend

I havn't been able to work out what Stuart was demonstrating in this pic

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Stu making it look very easy

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

flea getting expert advice

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Greg supervising.

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I think Mike had the best set up. He finished the weekend with a very good looking fishing rod.

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Saving the best for last

I realise this is going to cost me big time....

Sorry Pinhead (well... not that sorry)

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Probably should post some photos of my effort.

Underbound and overbound in C black. Metalic blue and gold trim in A and metalic pearl to break up the blue metalic also in A. Hard to see in a photo.

The blank is a Samurai 5-8kg.

Will be used with a bait runner for catching Coffs Harbour vermin (snapper)

Hoping to start on the butt wrap in the next couple of weeks

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

another view

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I think next time if I double over bind I will use A including the underbind

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

last one, hard to get the entire rod in the photo, although Ian did a good job with his.

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

At last! A photo of Greg showing his true colours, now that didn't hurt to much did it?
    Roz, looking good make sure you post the butt wrap when you get it done, again thanks to yourself, Stu, Greg and Sue for the organising, without this weekend I doubt whether I would have tried on my own.

stuart

Roz

It looks as though you have coated around 1/2 inch beond the thread onto the blank. This may become a problem as the coating will lift from the blank and become a white colour. If this happens you can take a razor blade and very carfully cut it off flush with the thread. When coating you only want to go over onto the blank by about 2mm, thats it no more. Oopps, forgot to say that come out very nice as did every one elses.

Stuart