Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final round up of the Rod Building Weekend

Re: Final round up of the Rod Building Weekend

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

you have been busy,looks really nice Roz, [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    i personally would not have used 'pink' but it does look a lot better than black on black, although i have to stop that as it is getting hard on the eyes
    cheers

Thanks for the pat on the back Dave, actually it's not pink, just looks pink in the photos.

The colour is Gudebrod maroon 337, although it's not deep enough in colour IMO to be called maroon.

I also think the fish are too small, but that's my inexperience.

I think I can get away with that, as it's a thin butt, if it had have been thicker, I would have pulled the threads off and changed it.

cheers roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

It's a credit to you, Roz. I don't know how you have the patience for it, let alone doing it on a pair of sneakers. You may have created a monster, mate, I've started a rod rebuild already and just ordered a MO catelogue.

Nah, You will find it's really worth while, specially doing up the old rods.

There's worse things you can spend money on.

As for the butt wrap, most of the credit should go to Volvo, he has been guiding me along the way & he can almost understand 'Roz speak' now.

Also trying to get a half decent photo, this one was taken in natural light but the colours still don't come out to well.

cheers roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Roz, you must have the patience of Job..... Or way to much time on your hands
    Very impressive.

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Actually Roz, it looks like you let TOL help you pick the colours. Apologies John this is the last time I use the gag, honest!

You're a brave man saying that

At least they're not NSW colours!!!!!

cheers roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

What's wrong with shirtlifter pink??

Or orange for that matter??

Mortally wounded I am, Shayne, mortally wounded.

TOL

bearclaw

Roz nice work, really girly. lol
    I usually take my pictures outside with the sun overhead, if I do need to take a picture using the flash I usually place a bit of the plastic milk carton over the flash to defuse the flash so you don't get the relection off the finish.
    Dave B. finally made it to Brisbane.

Myles

G'Day mate
    My misses has done a nice job of binding one of my old rods. What is the best coating to use to protect the binding.
    Cheers
    mangomick
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

after she has finished the binding. It's a good idea to paint on a thread sealer or filler. I use 'Speed' brand sealer, there maybe better brands around, but that one does the job.

It's not expensive, usually around 5-6$$$ for 50ml, which will do a lot of rods.

I recommend you dab it on with your finger, as using a brush sometimes brings out the thread fibers.

Wait a day then apply the epoxy, I use a two part system. A resin and a hardner. DON'T USE ROD VARNISH!!! cheap and nasty.

A popular brand is erskines & there are plenty of other good brands around. If you have never used epoxy before, let me know here, or PM.

And.... by the way, why arn't you doing your own binding???? naughty boy!! About time you learned.

Cheers Roz

GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

hey roz, the wrap looks great, wish i had that much time on my hands.as for the epoxy i used flex coat,its a 2 part mix[ mixed it up in a lid wrapped in alfoil, so when it set you just throw it away]sat and turned for a while[ had a beer or three] then just came back every ad break and turned again... oh i used a artist brush 10 or 12 mm to brush on

Love the wrap Roz. Those fish wraps look superb. If I can only come close to the great work you do, I'll be happy. The detail is awesome.

Finally have finished the wrap. #This has been a long process due to a number of reasons which I won't go into.

To hold the rod in my hand and know that I have created / made it, is a great feeling. #I know there are mistakes in the bindings and wrap, but I can live with them knowing that I can and will do better next time.

The pics may not do it justice, but I am no photographer, just an average Ausfisher that has been inspired to do something I have longed to do.

Thanks to Stuie for the assistance at the workshop, to Agnes -Jack for his input, but most importantly to Roz, for her patience in guiding me through the process ( long distance education ), the organizing of the RBW and the belief that ' anyone ' can build their own rod and create something that one can be proud of.

I often speak of the ' complete angler " being someone who loves to fish but gets more involved than just buying tackle, bait etc and plonking it in the drink ( not that there's anything wrong with that # ), but to actually build a rod, make sinkers, make lures, collecting bait, #to filleting and cooking, to making a plan work and many more aspects surrounding the ' art ' of fishing, really gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Unless you have built yourself a rod, you probably won't understand that feeling. #So on that note, those of you that wish to experience that feeling #stay tuned for the next Rod Building Workshop that Roz and Stuie will put together.

Cheers #Phill

Pics to Follow are:-

The closing off at the Butt End of the wrap

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

The full wrap